Why always royals - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 05-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Why always royals

Theres plenty of different pythons out there but why oh why does everyone & their dog go for royals? Is it because they are easy to keep, soft temprament, readily available & dont get that big?
We had a royal, swapped it for a burm (I got tagged by both lol). But the burm has a lovely temprament except when close to shedding or if theres food around. Hes currently 8' & possibly double in size.
I've heard retics get to a certain age, realize they are a big snake & get the idea they can rule the roost. Green tree pythons are high maintenance & have a tendancy to be fairly nasty (but I think that because they havnt been captive bred for many generations tbh). Thats just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong.
I just cant understand why EVERYONE loves royals, to me they'r nothing special. A 15' burm or 25' retic, now thats special......
Imo, royals are everywhere & therefore have become boring. I dont mean to offend anyone, I just cant understand why everybody loves them.
AilsaM likes this.

1.0.0 Burmese python, 1.1.2 Tarantulas, 1.0.0 Crested Gecko, 1.1.0 Cats, 0.2.0 Ferrets, 0.0.1 Goldfish, 0.2.0 Children, 0.1.0 Endlessly Nagging Wife!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Ultra Citizen

The size, not everyone has the space for a Burm or a Retic.

Also, just remember the heaps of Carpet Python Lovers.

I do understand where you are coming from, because I am the same with Corn Snakes, I can't see the fascination people have with them.
kbekl and hadgo like this.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Gold Star Member

You pretty much already said it.

Royals look pretty, and what people "think" snakes should look like.

They are cheap, easy to keep, cost hardly anything to feed and there is tons of viv accessories.

They take up hardly any room as they don't like massive vivs and cannot eat or harm adults, kids or most other domestic pets.

Also as they are so tame they are also an excellent snake for beginners to get into the hobby with, and then there is the upper end for serious collectors and an in between market for everyone else.

I own both Royals and a large Retic, and each has there own unqiue charms and detractors.
LisaLQ, toddger and snakedude2010 like this.
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidersnake View Post
Theres plenty of different pythons out there but why oh why does everyone & their dog go for royals? Is it because they are easy to keep, soft temprament, readily available & dont get that big?
Answered your own question there id say
LisaLQ and morning-star like this.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Hatchling

I don't get it either! Once worked at a wild life centre that had a Corn, a Royal and a 13ft Burm. The Burm was by far and away the most interesting both to handle and look at.

Another thing I don't get (I'll take cover after posting this ) is the fasination with albino's - looks like they've had all the beautiful colour washed off leaving it looking sickly and umwell.

Each to their own hey?!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Regular

Size isn't everything!
toddger, xXxLynnxXx and MrPhillips like this.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook View Post
I don't get it either! Once worked at a wild life centre that had a Corn, a Royal and a 13ft Burm. The Burm was by far and away the most interesting both to handle and look at.

Another thing I don't get (I'll take cover after posting this ) is the fasination with albino's - looks like they've had all the beautiful colour washed off leaving it looking sickly and umwell.

Each to their own hey?!
I don't get it either but hey ho, I do like albino snakes however and think some of them are prettier that the normal looking snakes.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Corn24_7

I wouldn't say everyone loves royals I think they're brill but my other half isn't a fan and keeps carpets,burms etc. Its just down to preference I think each to there own and all that
BumNum likes this.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Posting Deity

I had a royal, wasn't a great experience so wont get another. I like how they look, kinda cute looking but I like the normals best. Not keen on alot of the morphs. Don't like the pieds much.

As already said, I think you answered your own question though
Old 05-07-2011, 05:34 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidersnake View Post
We had a royal, swapped it for a burm (I got tagged by both lol). But the burm has a lovely temprament except when close to shedding or if theres food around. Hes currently 8' & possibly double in size.
I've heard retics get to a certain age, realize they are a big snake & get the idea they can rule the roost. Green tree pythons are high maintenance & have a tendancy to be fairly nasty (but I think that because they havnt been captive bred for many generations tbh). Thats just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong.
I just cant understand why EVERYONE loves royals, to me they'r nothing special. A 15' burm or 25' retic, now thats special......
Imo, royals are everywhere & therefore have become boring. I dont mean to offend anyone, I just cant understand why everybody loves them.
I reckon you've basically answered your own question too....

I'd just like to add there's so much variation in colour and pattern, so much breeding potential. There's a colour and a pattern that everyone will like, and so many morphs yet to be created.

There aren't many 25 foot Retics around either

Tags
pythons