Corn snakes - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Corn snakes

Well, I currently keep two female corns in a 3x2x2 viv, but they never really come out of hiding and so I've started to feel like it's wasted space that could be used more appropriately. I was thinkng I might split them into 2 RUBs. I've never used RUBs before but they were kept in a faunarium as babies and they did seem more actve then. Maybe they feel too out in the open in the viv?
If I did decide to go with RUBs, what size would be ideal? They are about 2 now but are still pretty small. I don't want it too small, I've seen that a lot of people keep them in 50l which would probably do them for now but I wouldn't feel right if they were much bigger. I was thinking of maybe the 70l as that has the most floor space but I don't know if it would be tall enough?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Premier Member

To be honest that is what corn snakes are like but I can guarantee you that they do use the space when your not around,such as during the night.ive used rubs for corns before but both mine seem a lot better in vivs,they were quite skittish in rubs and i put this down to it being more open spaced as in it was see through wheras vivs are a bit more enclosed.plus th3y didnt have enough room for all the hides they now have.imo vivs are much better but im sure a 50ltr would be ok for them.
0.0.1 cali king snake-cali (mums),
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.1.0 Amazon Tree Boa - Igni
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx
0.0.4 Whites Tree Frogs - Gluttony, Ru, Hodor, Pontiff

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Old 07-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Forum Citizen

Depends on their age I guess. They're probably more active at dawn too...I get up for work at 5am and my corns are always out and about at that time.
I'll find something to put here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Posting Deity

I had one corn snake given to me complete with 3ft exo terra viv. She never came out her hide. I put her into a RUB and she has been slighty more active and I do see her out in the evenings but thats about it.

My other corns are in in RUBs and I hardly ever see them. They just like to hide away alot. They are more active when due a feed and the males are more active when looking for a lady! That's corns I guess. My boas and kings are out and about alot more.

My corns that are 2 years old are in 50L tubs and they have plenty of room but rarely use it!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Premier Citizen

My adult corn was in an 80L rub until I decided to move him to a 4 foot viv. It was nice and tall enough for him, and I had put bamboo in it at different heights for him to climb on. xxx
0.0.1 cb14 G.Pulchripes
0.0.1 B.Smthi
0.0.1 B.Vagans

2x cats, 1x collie/lab cross

Old 07-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Premier Member

How much stuff do you have in their tank? If it's quite bare then they might feel too exposed and don't want to come out. I keep my corns in 4 litre RUBs (for the 2010s) and 34 litre tubs (for the adults) with aspen, an Exo Terra hide in the hot end, a kitchen paper roll thing along the side/on the cool side, and an Exo Terra hanging plant, so there's a fair amount of stuff in with them to explore. I always see them out and about, so maybe your snakes just need a little more cover to feel more secure?

And a beardie called Locust.
My Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/mnmreptiles
Old 07-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Ultra Citizen

There's tonnes of stuff in there. They can bury in the aspen, there's lot of cork bark two big bamboo roots, hay and fake plants at the moment plus a little wooden bridge thing for rodents and some flower pots.

I might give a RUB a go anyway and if that doesn't work out it doesn't matter. Will the 70l be tall enough though it's only about 20cm inside length? or better to go with something like the 84l which has less floor space but a bit more height?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by em_40 View Post
There's tonnes of stuff in there. They can bury in the aspen, there's lot of cork bark two big bamboo roots, hay and fake plants at the moment plus a little wooden bridge thing for rodents and some flower pots.

I might give a RUB a go anyway and if that doesn't work out it doesn't matter. Will the 70l be tall enough though it's only about 20cm inside length? or better to go with something like the 84l which has less floor space but a bit more height?
To be honest I'd have them each in either a 50L or a 64L, the 64L has the same floor space as the 50 but is a bit taller. How big are the snakes roughly? 3ft+?

And a beardie called Locust.
My Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/mnmreptiles
Old 07-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Ultra Citizen

approximately 3 foot yeh, the ones a little smaller than the other.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Regular

I'm guessing the corns don't live in your bedroom...

They will definitely be active at night, climbing around the stuff in the tank, balancing up the corner of the viv and then falling down. They can be quite noisey.

Tags
corn snake , rub