heat mat!? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 07-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSqueak View Post
Well, most reptile enclosures have a water source in them and many snakes in particular are known to either move through their water and around their viv or to move or tip their waterbowl....heatmat terminals are not waterproof and when you have a heatmat in a viv the terminal is inside....water + electricity = an accident waiting to happen.

There are other reasons but i'm not getting into an argument over it on the internet on a forum, it's not a risk i'd personally take and I prefer a guarded bulb.

i can see your point but how can you keep a snake with a bulb on 24/7, and if you have a heavy enough water bowl away from the heatmat at the cool end surely it will be safe?
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by krome187 View Post
i can see your point but how can you keep a snake with a bulb on 24/7, and if you have a heavy enough water bowl away from the heatmat at the cool end surely it will be safe?
Ceramic bulbs do not give off visible light, so they're suitable as a 24-hour heat source.

Not only is a heat mat inside a viv a risk from the water bowl, but imagine what happens if snakey pees on the terminal block...
MagicSqueak and AilsaM like this.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Old 08-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to NickBenger Send a message via Yahoo to NickBenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssthisto View Post
Ceramic bulbs do not give off visible light, so they're suitable as a 24-hour heat source.

Not only is a heat mat inside a viv a risk from the water bowl, but imagine what happens if snakey pees on the terminal block...
Theres substrate over it, and although I don't KNOW I would imagine the manufacturers have made it somewhat water proof or have covered this in some way..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Posting Deity

They do a waterproof heatmat. Not sure how good they are though.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by **louise** View Post
They do a waterproof heatmat. Not sure how good they are though.
I meant that if a snake pee'd on the console thingy then I'd imagine there would be no consequence. I would of thought that the manufacturers have this covered in some way.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Ultra Citizen

No matter where you go, you will always get this same argument.
Most manufacturers do clearly state that their mats are wipe clean, so they are waterproof to an extent, but they should not be submersed in water.
Move the water bowl to the cold end, less chance of the water getting tipped directly onto the heat mat. Use a heavier water bowl.
Finally, for a young corn snake, I'd say a heat mat is fine, I fully understand that heavier snakes can cause issues (their urine also tends to be in larger amounts, which could well cause a problem)
NickBenger likes this.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogMan View Post
Theres substrate over it, and although I don't KNOW I would imagine the manufacturers have made it somewhat water proof or have covered this in some way..
Nope, the blocks are unfortunately not sealed on any of the mats I own (of several brands).

The widdle issue is a bigger one with larger snakes (for whom I wouldn't recommend a heat mat anyway) - but even a corn can move its substrate out of the way.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Old 08-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssthisto View Post
Nope, the blocks are unfortunately not sealed.

The widdle issue is a bigger one with larger snakes (for whom I wouldn't recommend a heat mat anyway) - but even a corn can move its substrate out of the way.
I know boids and larger rat snakes have issues with thermal blocking hence heat mats aren't used. But would an adult corn snake cause a problem on a mat?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

In my opinion heat mates are pretty water tight - ive had one that got wet from time to time and it was still fine. Just ensure the screws are always tight.

James

Tags
cornsnake , heating a viv , heatmat , in or out , substrate