New keepers and underfeeding. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 07-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Super Citizen
Default New keepers and underfeeding.

This is not me trying to have a dig at anyone, just something I've noticed, both online and in real life.

Back when I bought my first snake a couple years ago (a little normal corn), I was terrified I'd do something wrong, so I was overly careful. (The same happened more recently when I got my boa, because it's a specie I hadn't owner before) I tended to buy very small prey items (a yearling corn feeding on one mice pinkie/small fuzzy each meal, I was that bad, yes) and now I realize I ended up underfeeding the snake.

Now, I definitely do NOT condone overfeeding, but I believe a snake should be offered an appropriate sized meal every feed (regardless of it being fed every week or going through periods of feast and famine, which some keeps do).

Well, I guess what spawned this 'rant' is that today, me and the OH went to his aunt's place, because one of her sons had gotten a snake. It was a lovely adult fire corn snake who was just going into shed (though they thought there was something wrong with it). I handled the snake for a bit and then they went on to show me and the OH what they were feeding the snake. Got to admit I was a bit horrified, the mice they had were less than HALF the snake's girth, and it is only being given one every 2-3 weeks. Not to mention they were feeding it live. Of course I told them it was much better to get f/t and that the prey item should be at least the size of the snake's girth. They were very surprised to hear this because they'd been advised otherwise.

Our corns are about 1 year old and currently eating a mice hopper/small adult every 7 days or so. :/ Takes them a couple minutes to get it down, but they never had problems with it (never regurged or anything) and never miss a feed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimthar View Post
It was a lovely adult fire corn snake who was just going into shed (though they thought there was something wrong with it). I handled the snake for a bit and then they went on to show me and the OH what they were feeding the snake. Got to admit I was a bit horrified, the mice they had were less than HALF the snake's girth, and it is only being given one every 2-3 weeks. Not to mention they were feeding it live. Of course I told them it was much better to get f/t and that the prey item should be at least the size of the snake's girth. They were very surprised to hear this because they'd been advised otherwise.
But was the snake under weight? If I fed my adult corn a prey item at least 1 to 1.5 times his girth he would be eating a pretty large rat, and if i fed him like that every week his girth would be like that of a Blood Python! In comparison I have a corn that is coming up for a year and refuses anything with fur on it, he eats 3 pinkies at the moment, and these are certainly smaller than his girth.
Crownan likes this.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Premier Citizen

Some pet shops give shocking advice when I was looking for a pet shop I played dumb and ask a lot of questions I knew the answers to to see if the people where treating the animals correctly you would be suprized how many told me to feed hatchlings crickets needless to sayi traveled 100 miles to find a shop I trusted. Some shops give all a bad name

Brian

Digital Portraits

My Snake Pics

JFT 96 YNWA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to rachel132002

Most corns are overweight tbh, my adults get fed sporadically and never anything bigger than xl mice.

We've just got so accustomed to overweight snakes now it's become the norm.
Molly75, Crownan and Twiglet like this.

http://www.facebook.com/RH.reptilemorphs

All enquiries please contact [email protected]
Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red123 View Post
But was the snake under weight? If I fed my adult corn a prey item at least 1 to 1.5 times his girth he would be eating a pretty large rat, and if i fed him like that every week his girth would be like that of a Blood Python! In comparison I have a corn that is coming up for a year and refuses anything with fur on it, he eats 3 pinkies at the moment, and these are certainly smaller than his girth.
adults don't need as much food as young snakes anyway though.

The mistake a lot of people make is to feed the same prey size scale are regularity from hatchling through adulthood.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Try him with rat pups, still no fur but they're bigger than pinks and might help him put a bit of weight on as well.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Just shave a mouse lol
Red123 likes this.

Digital Portraits

My Snake Pics

JFT 96 YNWA
Old 08-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Citizen

I feed every 7-10 days and mine are perfectly fine, just depends what you are feeding them I guess!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Posting Deity

My adult jungle corns get fed a large mouse or small 40g rat weaner every 2 weeks. If I fed the 1.5 girth rule for them, they would be on large 90g rat weaners!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
A tad nothing, yes.

And the problem is not feeding sporadically, or even smaller prey items than the 1.5x norm. I agree with either a smaller item every week or two, or a bigger one, every 2+ weeks. The thing is that snake was fed on 5 grams OR LESS tiny little mice. I picked one up and it was as light as a feather. :/ The length, including tail, was smaller than my hand, and I have tiny hands.

I mean, my 'baby' boa is eating a small adult rat every week and there's barely a bulge. Am I overfeeding?