Hognose not feeding - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Super Regular
Default Hognose not feeding

I have a 1 year old hognose who usually gobbles 2 pinky mice a week. A few weeks ago he was being a bit fussy and only took one after about 20 minutes of me chasing him round the viv with it. That was the last time he ate (17th june) and I have been offering one to him every week but he just hisses and hisses at it and defensive strikes, no biting. I know it's only been a few weeks and no cause for concern yet, but I'm just wondering what could be causing this as the only time any of the other snakes have gone off food was the winter time and this is the middle of summer. He is still fairly active and seems happy enough but just gets all huffy when it comes to feeding day. Anything else I can try him with? I think he's still too small for rat pups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 06:05 AM
5 Star Member

First thng... A 1 year old male hognose should be taking 2 fuzzies a week at the very least...

Second... Your male at 1 year of age is more than likely sexually mature and once the urge to breed kicks in, they will stop eating for periods of time...
Lord Vetinari likes this.

Suspension Incubation containers www.squamataconcepts.com
Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Premier Member

As gregg says, and I would add that chasing a snake round a viv for 20 minutes will only stress it, which can lead to non-feeding. How is he housed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sins_n_needles View Post
I have a 1 year old hognose who usually gobbles 2 pinky mice a week. A few weeks ago he was being a bit fussy and only took one after about 20 minutes of me chasing him round the viv with it. That was the last time he ate (17th june) and I have been offering one to him every week but he just hisses and hisses at it and defensive strikes, no biting. I know it's only been a few weeks and no cause for concern yet, but I'm just wondering what could be causing this as the only time any of the other snakes have gone off food was the winter time and this is the middle of summer. He is still fairly active and seems happy enough but just gets all huffy when it comes to feeding day. Anything else I can try him with? I think he's still too small for rat pups.

Indeed, chasing a snake will just stress it out... Thats why he gets huffy at feeding time. He associates feeding time with getting stressed out.

My 7 month hoggy will not strike while the fuzzie is on the tongs, All I is jiggle it in front of him then drop it. He will look at for a couple of seconds then strike and feed.

Not every snake will strike feed, if he doesnt want to do it dont force him to. Drop feeding is also acceptable.

Also, as already said, two pinkies a week for a year old hoggy is a very restricted diet.
AilsaM likes this.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Posting Deity

As already mentioned, 2 pinkies seems a small meal for a year old hoggie. How big is he? Got any pics? My male is 1 year old and is on small mice. He stopped eating for 6 weeks which I put down to him being horny. He ate for a few weeks and has decided to go on hunger strike again. I don't pressure him to eat. I do as above, wiggle the mouse, drop it for him and if he does take it he will do within about 5 mins. If he's not interested I remove the mouse and leave him alone till next feeding day.
Lord Vetinari likes this.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Regular
Reviews: 20

Going off feed is a natural part of hognose behaviour, as long as the weight doesnt plummet, it isn't anything to worry about. I have a male who has been off feed since the beginning of the breeding season, but his weight is stable, and his behaviour is normal, so I'm not worried.

Any change in a hog's routine, or something different in the cage/room can put them off feed, but give him time, and don't stress him out (by chasing him round his cage, for example), and he will feed again.

Patience is the key with these little guys, sometimes they just go off feed, it's part of their behaviour. Personally, I would leave him alone for 2 weeks, without any interaction (apart from water changes and spot cleaning) so he can settle down again, then try a drop feed: just place the mouse in the cage where the snake can find it easily, preferably without the risk of it getting substrate on it, then leave so the snake can eat in his own time. I find most of mine eat best when I drop feed in the morning before work, so as they start to become active during the day, they discover the food and chomp away.

And yes... pinkies for a yearling is NOT enough. They are mostly water and don't contain enough nutrition for a snake of that age.
AilsaM likes this.

www.tranquilityreptiles.wordpress.com
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrRyanSkilton/videos
R.I.P. Blofeld, Frogs 1& 2, Tokay, Clive
Old 08-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Super Regular

The certificate from the shop says his hatch date was 7/7/10 and his feeding record was 1 pinky a week from Nov until Feb. He is still quite small, fluffys seem much too big for him, when he eats the pinks you can see the bulge in his body so they seem the right size. Here are a couple pics of him today.

Next to a measuring tape, so he's just under 1 foot long, but skinny.

I know chasing him with the mouse isn't a good thing but he never took it unless I held it literally right in front of his face. I also tried just leaving it in there on a tissue for a few hours but he didnt take it like that either.

He is in a 12"x8" faunarium on aspen, nothing in his tank except for his water bowl and half an egg box for a hide. Nothing in the room has changed except the temp has gotten higher recently but I cant do anything about that. If you reckon just leaving him another couple of weeks without disturbing him is the best option then I will, it's just he's so skinny, I wanna feed him up. Also, how long does the mating period usually last? If that's what it is.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Posting Deity

If he's on 2 pinks he could easily take 1 fuzzy. Looking at him I'd say it would be fine. Here is mine eating a rat pup. Not saying give him a rat pup but as you can see it's quite big and he took it with no bother at all.

What are your temps like? You say they got higher, how are you heating his faunarium?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Super Regular

He's on a mat set at 30 C, the room temp is 25 C. The mat was on 32 before but I put it down a wee bit since the air is so warm now. Well I will give him a break with the feeding for another little while, then up the amount, that rat pup still looks a fair bit smaller than the fluffys our shop gives us, might pick up a couple of them next time and try him on them.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sins_n_needles View Post
He's on a mat set at 30 C, the room temp is 25 C. The mat was on 32 before but I put it down a wee bit since the air is so warm now. Well I will give him a break with the feeding for another little while, then up the amount, that rat pup still looks a fair bit smaller than the fluffys our shop gives us, might pick up a couple of them next time and try him on them.
No that rat pup is much bigger than a fuzzy. Make sure your getting the right thing. You want the next size up from a pinky, different places call them different things. Some fuzzies are not much bigger than large pinkies.

Tags
hognose , not feeding