Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Snakes (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/)
-   -   Heat mat bulb or both in viv.. (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/718323-heat-mat-bulb-both-viv.html)

stephenjackson 08-07-2011 09:25 AM

Heat mat bulb or both in viv..

Hi all, just got my self a microclimates system working with a 60watt bulb!
Do I still need the heatmat with it to???
Also would you put the heatmat inside the viv burried under the bark chippings or under the viv??
They have been ok so far but I'm being told to not have it in there...
It's 2 corns I have in there both bout 2.5 ft long!
Advise please.. Just getting told different things by reptile shops.
Thanks...

rmac 08-07-2011 09:29 AM

There is no need for both, no, the heat lamp you have will be suffice! Just remember to make sure there is a guard so the snakes do not burn them selfs

**louise** 08-07-2011 09:30 AM

No need for the mat if you have a statted, guarded bulb :)

Brian J 08-07-2011 09:43 AM

Hi there personly I would have separate vivs I don't think snakes should be kept communally but others do it with success so each to there own,

Regarding the heating I have a heat mat with a stat on it under the substrate with the stat set to 86f and I have a 20 watt red spot lamp and a natural light tube for 12 hours of the day for a day night cycle during the day I have temps of 84-86f hot side 75-77f cool side at substrate level and 82- 84f ambient air temp at night I have just the mat 86f hot side 73 cool side with 73 ambient air temp all over I use a digital thermometer both sides at substrate level and a stick on thermometer each side to measure ambient air temps. Viv is a 4x2x2 that's my set up and I don't seem to have any issues :)

Brian

stephenjackson 08-07-2011 10:14 AM

Heat source

Hi above thanks for your comment.
I understand about separate vibes but in all honesty they haven't had a problem with eath other atall..
Been together 3 weeks now and sleep together roam round together etc. I just feed them separately. But over all they seem happy..
Will take on board advice though about heat source . Thanks...
I'm new to all this and just want to get it right...
I only wanted some fish lol...

**louise** 08-07-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenjackson (Post 8545756)
Hi above thanks for your comment.
I understand about separate vibes but in all honesty they haven't had a problem with eath other atall..
Been together 3 weeks now and sleep together roam round together etc. I just feed them separately. But over all they seem happy..
Will take on board advice though about heat source . Thanks...
I'm new to all this and just want to get it right...
I only wanted some fish lol...

Did you buy them together? How old are they? What sex?

MarkNI 08-07-2011 10:36 AM

I am running a microclimate 100 on my 60W ceramic in a 2ft viv. I find that the on/off stat is giving a large swing between switching temps: Swing of 79-87 (hot end)! If your microclimate is one of the basic on/off stats, you should keep an eye on the temps! I am new to this too, so I been keeping a close eye on temps.

I just run with the ceramic, with stat & therm probes set on top of the substrate. I was told I didnt need a heat mat too.

I am going to change the stat though to a habistat pulse, because I dont like this large swing of temps from the basic microclimate on/off.

Burmtastic 08-07-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkNI (Post 8545810)
I am running a microclimate 100 on my 60W ceramic in a 2ft viv. I find that the on/off stat is giving a large swing between switching temps: Swing of 79-87 (hot end)! If your microclimate is one of the basic on/off stats, you should keep an eye on the temps! I am new to this too, so I been keeping a close eye on temps.

I just run with the ceramic, with stat & therm probes set on top of the substrate. I was told I didnt need a heat mat too.

I am going to change the stat though to a habistat pulse, because I dont like this large swing of temps from the basic microclimate on/off.

bulbs are ment to be used with dimmers stats... and ceramic with dimmers or pulse stats.... on off things are better with mats

Amy2310 08-07-2011 10:52 AM

On Off stats are advertised as for anything less than a certain wattage that is non light emitting, so technically a Ceramic can be used with them, but it's highly recommended you don't.
To be honest, after getting a PP Stat for one of our heat mats, I wouldn't recommend any on off stats, for any kind of heating device.
Back to the OP,
No you don't need both heat sources, however if you use a household bulb for a light cycle, keep an eye on how hot that can get, ours manages to heat the top of the hide to around 32°c.

stephenjackson 08-07-2011 11:01 AM

Age sex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by **louise** (Post 8545804)
Did you buy them together? How old are they? What sex?

Separately bought them. Male is 16 months and female is 14 months.
Separated viv first to let them see eachother for a day and night then introduced them. No probs what so ever!
Like I said they do everything together now...
Wouldn't split them up now. I know someone who keeps three tigether in a rub.. No probs..