HELP!!!! Very Aggressive behaviour... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Super Regular
Default HELP!!!! Very Aggressive behaviour...

I have a Ball Python, she is just over 4 years old and everything was fine for 3 years. Last year she refused food for just over a year - I was assured this was ok by a local rep store and to continue caring for her in the usual way and to keep trying her with food, Royals can be temperamental - apparently. Then one day she just started eating again, things were ok, back to normal - for a couple of months. Suddenly (and recently) she has become aggressive, can't be handled, biting and again refusing food - preferring me or my husband instead!!

Please help, we would like to understand what is happening. She is in a 4ft long by 2ft high by 1.5 deep viv (same as she's been in for ages), temp, humidity, everything is normal. No major changes have happened. I say she's a she - but we've never really been told for sure - I was told she was female when we first bought her.
1.0.0 - Steve the Hamster
2.1.0 - Children
1.0.0 - Husband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 AM
5 Star Member

1st off calm down she's a royal haha the worst your gonna get if you get tagges is a couple of tiny bleeding pinpricks. 2ndly how much does she weigh in grams and thirdly never trust a petshop haha in my experience (what little I have) most petshops are useless w-bankers and will tell you almost anything to get a sale. Some picks of her setup would help aswell, she might feel abit vunerable in a 4x2x2 unless you've got loadsa hides and decor in there?
As for the non feeding, a year is a bit of a long time. I'd start getting worried around the 6month mark personally.
Josh

Saint George killed the last dragon, and he was called a hero for it. I've never seen a dragon, and I wish he would have left at least one. Saint Patrick made a name for himself by running the snakes out of Ireland, leaving the place vulnerable to rodent infestation. This business of making saints out of men who exterminate their fellow creatures has got to stop. All I'm saying is, it's starting to get a little lonely up here at the top of the food chain.
- A Whitney Brown
Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to Becky

I would think putting her in a smaller space may help her feel more safe and therefore hopefully stop striking and feed better She may just feel very 'in the open' and so is striking out of defence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 3

Is it possible to have images of her viv?

Now in my opinion, as long as the viv is packed with hides and decor so that there isn't much open space the viv should be fine, i have kept royals in 3x2x3 vivs since they where yearlings and haven't had massive none feeding or aggression responses from them, yes i have had times where they haven't fed but my royals generally are better feeders then my boas

i would also look at outside influences (things happening outside the viv)
have you moved the viv? have you move anything close to the viv recently (TV, stereo, PC)?

even tho nothing may of changed in the viv things that may have changed on the outside of the viv may change behavior.

i refuse to turn 25!!!

If it has tyres or testicles, its gona give you trouble!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 AM
5 Star Member

Would give my right arm for a lively royal.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Ultra Citizen

Firstly, how long has she been in the 4 foot vivarium?
Our male has been in a 4 foot from a hatchling and has done fine.
Secondly, is there any sign of ill health?
A cut/burn on her body that is causing her pain?
As also mentioned, has anything changed outside her vivarium? Or even inside? Taken away a plant, a hide or something?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpitviper View Post
aggressive or lively ? lol mine is hardly ever hidden. maybe once a week max. but I'm guessing as she gets older she may want to come out less and be less active. she's only a baby.

neway may have no link and I don't even know if this is correct. but have you added anything new to the viv ? or even changed it around ? I added a new hide and moved it around the other week and it seemed to give her the hump. my normally active python was " throwing a strop" so to speak. body language of u come near me and I'm gonna eat you lol she's never done it before. day and she got over it. as I said may not be linked or even relevant. just a observation on my part
Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

Definitely check the major ones:

1. Check your temperatures - with a new thermometer, just in case.
2. Check that she doesn't have any injuries or mites, since those can make for stroppy.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpitviper View Post
I'll bring my pissy big girl over to see you when we come over then

Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I'll bring my pissy big girl over to see you when we come over then
When'd you get a pissy one?

Saint George killed the last dragon, and he was called a hero for it. I've never seen a dragon, and I wish he would have left at least one. Saint Patrick made a name for himself by running the snakes out of Ireland, leaving the place vulnerable to rodent infestation. This business of making saints out of men who exterminate their fellow creatures has got to stop. All I'm saying is, it's starting to get a little lonely up here at the top of the food chain.
- A Whitney Brown