Are low-maintenance pets the future? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Postaholic Member

I don't think reptiles are that low maintenance, you don't often hear of people not going on Holiday because they have a dog or a cat, but most reptile keepers I know struggle to have a few days away from home due to snakes and lizards needing feeding and what have you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogMan View Post
Try getting up at 6am to walk your dog for an hour before catching a bus to work/college and then returning to immediatly do another hours walk But it is v.rewarding..
my point exactly! the snakes are much easier to deal with, at least i dont have to go out of the house to sort them out.
with todays busier lifestyles a reptile is much easier to care for (once you know what your doing!) and you can be as involved in the community as you want (or dont want).

as for holidays i havent had a problem, the snakes at least dont need someone to come and let them out for a crap and walk them several times a day!
NickBenger likes this.

Reptile Awareness Group
-raising awareness and education about reptiles. Fancy joining us? Drop us a line!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmabee View Post

as for holidays i havent had a problem, the snakes at least don't need someone to come and let them out for a crap and walk them several times a day!
snakes are not so bad, lizards are a pain in the b*m if you want to go away as unless you know somebody who keeps them and will look after them you have to show somebody how to feed and dust them and hope they don't mind handling bugs and things or cleaning up lizard poo, beardies poop really stinks and is proper nasty
Not as simple as a friend popping round to chuck some cat food in a bowl anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Newman View Post
The Guardian newspaper is covering reptiles as pets in wake of the announcement of increasing sales of reptiles from Pets at Home, see below. So if you think reptiles make better pets than more traditional species such as cats and dogs then vote. This is about which make better pets not if you do or do not like Pets at Home!!

Pets at Home has reported a surge in sales of reptiles. Do you think they're a better idea than traditional pets?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/poll/2011/jul/08/geckos-low-maintenace-pets

Soaring reptile sales boost Pets at Home
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/jul/08/soaring-reptile-sales-boost-pets-at-home
Is that surprising, considering they've only just started doing reptiles? There's not exactly going to be a decrease.
NickBenger likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanhippie View Post
I couldnt be with someone who listened to XFactor stuff. I'd kill them. Or it'd kill me.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoneringx View Post
Is that surprising, considering they've only just started doing reptiles? There's not exactly going to be a decrease.
That's exactly what I thought. Bit of a stupid statistic really. Like they say "69.47% of statistics are made up on the spot" lol
Old 08-07-2011, 03:12 PM
5 Star Member
Location: Permanently Resides In The Office.. In The Depths Of Wiltshire

Hmmmm

My dog drools... My snakes don't
My dog cuddles... My snakes dont
My dog farts... My snakes don't
My dog does cow pats... My snakes excrete some odd stuff

My cats purr & pad... The snakes and the dog don't do either...

Cats win!!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum&coke View Post
I don't think reptiles are that low maintenance, you don't often hear of people not going on Holiday because they have a dog or a cat, but most reptile keepers I know struggle to have a few days away from home due to snakes and lizards needing feeding and what have you.
That's because they put their dogs/cats in kennels.

It's not that hard to find places that provide this service for reptiles if you can find one you trust
Old 08-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum&coke View Post
Equally, there are kennels and caterys around most places. The kennel we use will even look after our skunk for us so long as we take food in for her. But there's few places that will look after reptiles. Some shops will, but thats becoming less common, so it comes down to asking friends. I'm lucky that one of my friends will come over, deal with waters, check everyone over, play with the ferrets etc and it costs me a tank of petrol and a drink in the pub, but if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be able to go on any family holidays again for some 20 odd years.

PM's are now turned off!

If you wish to contact Pi Reptiles please email [email protected] or visit www.pireptiles.co.uk
Old 08-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydz13 View Post
My dog farts... My snakes don't
oh yes they do !!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoneringx View Post
They did them a while ago, then stopped because they weren't selling enough.

Tags
vote