Are low-maintenance pets the future? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Premier Citizen
Default Are low-maintenance pets the future?

The Guardian newspaper is covering reptiles as pets in wake of the announcement of increasing sales of reptiles from Pets at Home, see below. So if you think reptiles make better pets than more traditional species such as cats and dogs then vote. This is about which make better pets not if you do or do not like Pets at Home!!

Pets at Home has reported a surge in sales of reptiles. Do you think they're a better idea than traditional pets?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/poll/2011/jul/08/geckos-low-maintenace-pets

Soaring reptile sales boost Pets at Home
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/jul/08/soaring-reptile-sales-boost-pets-at-home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to NickBenger Send a message via Yahoo to NickBenger

Lol I can't really vote I like both dogs and reptiles. Tbh if I HADDD to pick I'd pick my dog they are just the perfect pet imo, if you have time for them.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Postaholic Member

I think they are becoming more popular due to them being more accessible to the average person now. Exotic pets used to be something only the rich could afford, now anyone can get hold of anything and the cost has dropped so low in some cases maybe due to high price of morphs forcing down price of normals etc. I don't think they make better pets TBH even the friendliest corn snake would not give a monkeys if you didn't give it any interaction and attention. Mammals will always be better pets as in companion animals than reptiles will ever be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 2

snakes make rubbish pets in fairness. They make a wonderful and fascinating hobby though.
Rain, tabbyshero, Ben-f and 6 others like this.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Premier Citizen

thats probably about the best way of putting it
Old 08-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Premier Citizen

As said, I don't think they make great "pets", but I think times are changing for people, as far as careers and such go, maybe not leaving as much time for cats and dogs. So maybe a reptile could be ideal, not needing that companionship a traditional pet would. That said, you can see just by reading some of the threads on here, a lot of people still see their snake, lizard etc the same way as they would a dog, so they're still getting the enjoyment of a pet, even if it is one sided.

Or i could just be chatting nonsense, what was the question again?!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Premier Citizen

I really don't like dogs or cats (dogs hate me and I just have something against cats!) so reptiles are the way forward for me.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:29 PM
5 Star Member

i understand where they are coming from though. i suppose its worded wrongly putting them in the same "pet" catogory as cats and dogs.

i couldnt imagine anything worse than finishing a shift and having to then take the dog out but the snakes couldnt care less if i dont "do" anything with them when i get in from work!

totally agree with BladeBlaster though!

Reptile Awareness Group
-raising awareness and education about reptiles. Fancy joining us? Drop us a line!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to NickBenger Send a message via Yahoo to NickBenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmabee View Post
i understand where they are coming from though. i suppose its worded wrongly putting them in the same "pet" catogory as cats and dogs.

i couldnt imagine anything worse than finishing a shift and having to then take the dog out but the snakes couldnt care less if i dont "do" anything with them when i get in from work!

totally agree with BladeBlaster though!
Try getting up at 6am to walk your dog for an hour before catching a bus to work/college and then returning to immediatly do another hours walk But it is v.rewarding..
Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to ShaunIOW

I admit I treat mine as pets and not just a hobby and enjoy handling them and talking to them (yes I know they're deaf) especially my royal as he's so cute and laid back and I do like the way they need hardly any maintenance and all 5 cost half a week to keep what my 1 cat does - but I wouldn't keep them in place of my cat as she's just so affectionate which is something the snakes aren't, but I can't see any problem to having both.
AilsaM likes this.

1.0.0 Royal Python (normal) - Tyr
1.0.0 Corn Snake (anerythristic) - Ares
0.1.0 Russian Rat Snake (hi gold) - Freya
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake - Shadow
0.0.1 Chequered Garter Snake (normal) - Cinder
1.0.0 Dione Rat Snake (normal, Russian locale) - Jasper
0.1.0 Dwarf Red Pastel Boa - Doro

Tags
vote