Vivarium heating and bulb help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Posting Deity
Default Vivarium heating and bulb help

I know there are quite a few topics like this floating around but wanted to get all the answers in one place as I'm getting so confused

I'm setting up my first vivariums over the next few weeks for my boas and have never used ceramics before so am a bit clueless. Firstly what wattage should I use for a 3ft viv? There seem to be so many different types of ceramics out there, is any type better than another?

I know I need a stat, that bit I'm fine on. I will also get a cage to guard the bulb.

Is this sort of thing ok for the holder and wire?

CERAMIC VIVARIUM HEAT BULB LIGHT LAMP HOLDER REPTILE on eBay (end time 22-Jul-11 21:30:08 BST)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Premier Citizen

The ulb holder and heat resistant wire are spot on.

For the bulb, you could use a 100w ceramic. However, you may as well get a 150w ceramic. That way, if you upgrade to a 4' viv later, you can still use it in there.

It's better to get a big bulb that isn't using all it's potential, rather than getting a smaller bulb that's working to its maximum potential - if you see what I mean.

Have a look on ebay for a company called solaris heat for your ceramic bulbs.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonlude View Post
The ulb holder and heat resistant wire are spot on.

For the bulb, you could use a 100w ceramic. However, you may as well get a 150w ceramic. That way, if you upgrade to a 4' viv later, you can still use it in there.

It's better to get a big bulb that isn't using all it's potential, rather than getting a smaller bulb that's working to its maximum potential - if you see what I mean.

Have a look on ebay for a company called solaris heat for your ceramic bulbs.
Great, will have a look, thanks.

Yup, will upgrade to a 4ft once the boas are bigger although I will have other snakes that can move into the empty 3fts so the bulb will stay put if it's still working.

How long do they tend to last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Premier Citizen

It's hard to say how long they last. I've never replaced a ceramic in 3 years, and I've got about 15 running at the minute.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Forum Citizen
Reviews: 1

The wattage you'd be looking at would most likely be something like from 60 to 150 W. With a proper stat, you'd be better off getting a larger model as the price differences with differend wattages isn't very high and a pulse proportional or a dimming stat will regulate the power anyway. The bulb.. Well, I'd stay away from exo-terra just because they're the only ceramics I have bad experiences with, mostly very short life span.

For installation needs, you can check out customguards.co.uk. They will have everything you need for a decent price. They'll even sell complete setups.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by **louise** View Post
I know there are quite a few topics like this floating around but wanted to get all the answers in one place as I'm getting so confused

I'm setting up my first vivariums over the next few weeks for my boas and have never used ceramics before so am a bit clueless. Firstly what wattage should I use for a 3ft viv? There seem to be so many different types of ceramics out there, is any type better than another?

I know I need a stat, that bit I'm fine on. I will also get a cage to guard the bulb.

CERAMIC VIVARIUM HEAT BULB LIGHT LAMP HOLDER REPTILE on eBay (end time 22-Jul-11 21:30:08 BST)

Thanks.
Get in touch with reptie-ink on here, they can supply everything you need, from bulb to guard all from 1 place
Old 08-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Posting Deity

Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly1 View Post
Get in touch with reptie-ink on here, they can supply everything you need, from bulb to guard all from 1 place
Brilliant, cheers. Much easier. Here is the link for anyone else interested.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ater-kits.html
Old 08-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Ultra Citizen

what boa do you have? in general, seems to be ok. i would go for 60-80w

Quote:
Originally Posted by **louise** View Post

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinoee View Post
what boa do you have? in general, seems to be ok. i would go for 60-80w
I have 2 hypo hogs and a hog cross. All just turned 1 year old.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Ultra Citizen

i personally would get 60 and 80w . check with thermometer (no stat) on which one the temps are close enough. than i would hooked it to stat and keep second one as back up.