lighting and heating for corn - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:08 PM
littlesnowden's Avatar
Super Regular
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 178
Question lighting and heating for corn

hi i have got a 3foot viv for my growing corn and i was wondering what i should do for more heat or light.
At the moment i have got a gaurded eco light for light and a small heat mat. what should i do?
i could either get a bigger heat mat and keep the light the way it is-two electricals
or i could get a heat bulb which emits light and heat (and uvb) - which wouuld be one electrical and it would be more natural
but which is better for the snake and which option uses more electricity?

thanks alot!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
alinoee's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,591
Default

does he has daylight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesnowden View Post
hi i have got a 3foot viv for my growing corn and i was wondering what i should do for more heat or light.
At the moment i have got a gaurded eco light for light and a small heat mat. what should i do?
i could either get a bigger heat mat and keep the light the way it is-two electricals
or i could get a heat bulb which emits light and heat (and uvb) - which wouuld be one electrical and it would be more natural
but which is better for the snake and which option uses more electricity?

thanks alot!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM
littlesnowden's Avatar
Super Regular
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 178
Default

what you meen natural sun light? not alot- its very dark in my room
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
alinoee's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,591
Default

i would go for heat mats/cables for heating and perhaps leds for a day/night light provision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesnowden View Post
what you meen natural sun light? not alot- its very dark in my room
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
nelly1's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: keighley
Posts: 8,687
Default

My personal opinion, in a viv a guarded and statted bulb, ceramic or light emmiting is the best way to go.
Uv light is under much debate at the mo, as to the pro's and cons.
A low % uv cant do any harm to most species in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:18 PM
No Life Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northampton
Posts: 15,038
Send a message via MSN to knotism037
Default

For a viv I would have to say go for a heat lamp (UV bulb at your choice, it is not needed for a snake to lead a healthy life). Make sure it's guarded and it has a stat on it.
__________________


My Animals
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:18 PM
alinoee's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,591
Default

stated ceramics in dark room is your recommendation ha?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly1 View Post
My personal opinion, in a viv a guarded and statted bulb, ceramic or light emmiting is the best way to go.
Uv light is under much debate at the mo, as to the pro's and cons.
A low % uv cant do any harm to most species in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
nelly1's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: keighley
Posts: 8,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinoee View Post
stated ceramics in dark room is your recommendation ha?
Just giving the options if you care to read all the post.
If you have nothing constructive to say without the need for booze to make you brave,please refrain from the childish posts
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:23 PM
No Life Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northampton
Posts: 15,038
Send a message via MSN to knotism037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinoee View Post
stated ceramics in dark room is your recommendation ha?
Lot's of people keep snakes in rooms with no light and they are fine like that.
__________________


My Animals
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 PM
alinoee's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,591
Default

i did. some of your options, if followed, will make albino corn perhaps : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly1 View Post
Just giving the options if you care to read all the post.
If you have nothing constructive to say without the need for booze to make you brave,please refrain from the childish posts
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
corn , heat , light , snake

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What lighting/heating do i need to keep leo angry_bird321 Lizards 4 29-04-2011 11:46 AM
Bci heating / lighting james.b Snakes 3 01-03-2011 02:27 PM
heating and lighting CraigRenwick Habitat 0 08-01-2011 11:29 AM
Corn snake lighting/heating. Dexter612 Newbie Advice 19 04-04-2009 09:08 PM
lighting & heating Two_fat_dogsuk Lizards 1 08-09-2007 06:07 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:22 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)