Corn snake prices, poll.. please join in. - Page 14 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

View Poll Results: Are my prices too high, too low, about right?
cornmorphs prices are too high 8 6.30%
cornmorphs prices are about right 26 20.47%
cornmorphs prices are too low 5 3.94%
cornmorphs produced them, he can ask what he likes. 78 61.42%
cornmorphs should follow others and price as they do 4 3.15%
Others are too high in general 6 4.72%
The market has gone, get what you can 21 16.54%
Its not about the money, as long as they sell 14 11.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Q View Post
Some of what I've seen here makes me ask myself a question, and maybe that is question others should ask of themselfs.

Am I breeding to much ?

So many that the cost of keeping the hatchings means I have to sell cheap ?

With that in mind, the result being sell quick and cheap adding to the market drop.

Worth an honest answer and some thought by many of us.
i only have 1 pair of corn snakes the female laid 13 fertile eggs they all hatched she double cluched and ive got 4 fertile eggs in the incubator.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:28 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostcornsnake View Post
i only have 1 pair of corn snakes the female laid 13 fertile eggs they all hatched she double cluched and ive got 4 fertile eggs in the incubator.
Thats great
Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Some of what I've seen here makes me ask myself a question, and maybe that is question others should ask of themselfs.

Am I breeding to much ?

With that in mind, the result being sell quick and cheap adding to the market drop.

This is exactly why i only plan to breed one corn at a time, the thought of being overrun with 100 hatchlings scares the crap outta me, id have a break down lol

Destinys_only_sin is the most amazingly amazing person ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_nightmare View Post
This is exactly why i only plan to breed one corn at a time, the thought of being overrun with 100 hatchlings scares the crap outta me, id have a break down lol
oops, didnt mean to quote this one lol
Quote:
I think there are a couple of right answers here.
They are your snakes, it's totally up to you what you sell them for.

It's a shame about the way the market has gone Nige, but you are one of the UK's top corn breeders, so you have the most experience and knowledge that most of us have to follow in regards to the market.

I'm rubbish with prices, I usually start the season with what I think is a fair price, then towards the back end of the season start to realise that people just don't want to spend that much, so I will have to drop the price.

As you no, I have sold corns lower than what would be considered the market price, but unless I made a mistake, it's always been because they wouldn't sell at the so called market price.

I think the truth is that there is no market price on anything that is suffering a consistant drop in price.

Sell for what you think is right Nige, you no what your doing and your likely the best person to no the value of each morph.
I know mate, some great points. Itsnot an easy one to answer really, so I thought If I got some honest views then this may help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW-morelia View Post
Good pics are a must..... I have Joel to do ours and it certainly made a difference with better quality pics to put up...
And you could also nurture the CS.com crowd a bit more... Not sure if you still have a sub forum, but there are lots of Brits over there that could do with a Brit based breeder I'm sure..
Just looked and yes you do still have a sub forum.... Use it....
I do have a sub forum mate, dont use it as much as i should, and you know how it is, you can be the biggest breeder outside of america, but because you dont live there and are not one of them they tend to dismiss you out of sight. I have a collection that probably thousands of them would love.
Quote:

Am I breeding to much ?

I had thought about this, and after looking at it, I decided to produce what I wanted to, and not for the sake of it.
If you look at my list, generally the majority I am keeping something back from each clutch.
There really isnt a great deal there that I shouldnt have donel. at the same time, I wont need to do many of them again.

Latest youtube vid:-24th may 2012
Goldust bloodreds and more hatching..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r7IZaGMprI

2012 corns for sale.. many many morphs
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ings-sale.html

adult corns for sale
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post10344758
Old 10-07-2011, 03:26 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmorphs View Post
I do have a sub forum mate, dont use it as much as i should, and you know how it is, you can be the biggest breeder outside of america, but because you dont live there and are not one of them they tend to dismiss you out of sight. I have a collection that probably thousands of them would love.
But with lots of Brits on there.... And being a breeder on there... You get your name out as a source....
Don't forget.. corns are a newb snake and they google it up find that forum... Nidge the UK corn breeder is there... Bingo.. Their only breeder to buy off instead of petco or pets at home...
Old 10-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Ultra Citizen

Hey Nige,

This is a really interesting thread

They are your snakes and you should sell them for what you want to, simple as that! If you want to shift them fast then price them to do so.

We don't sell many corns on RFUK really, there isn't much interest in corns as you say. However, we do sell a lot of our animals through our website and other forums. I think the "market" just doesn't really exist on here. Animals come and go as far as fashion is concerned, particularly on a forum as big as this.

In terms of prices, what is really interesting is that we sell animals for a significant amount cheaper than you can import them for. An example, we are offering a trio of animals for £160 and have seen them being imported (and sold) for £350. We've not sold ours yet!

Prices must fit the market or nothing will sell. If other breeders are not willing to sell as low as you then they will sell less. Simple

In terms of doing it for the money, not a chance with corns!

Cheers
Ads
cornmorphs likes this.

Facebook/procorns - for availability and general photo spam
Old 10-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Ultra Citizen

Oh - Also. I've just looked at your price list Nige. Seems perfectly reasonable to me and very similar to a lot of our prices for this year

I would have said your Sunkissed stuff is a good deal cheaper than you could sell it for. There are not many people offering Sunkissed morphs at the moment. Certainly we won't be until all ours are tested for Stargazer.

Cheers
Ads

Facebook/procorns - for availability and general photo spam
Old 10-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Super Citizen

if you breed them then whats it to do with other breeders how much you charge? i agree there's not much of a market here and maybe you should consider setting a web page up? corns are one of the most common snakes in the hobby and thats gonna be reflected in the price, same as beardies or cresties. saying that i see nothing wrong with selling "beginner" species cheap to get people interested in the hobby. the only downside is it means there are a lot of unwanted pets out there where people decide reptiles aren't for them but that's inevitable as the hobby grows really.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Gold Star Member

the backside has fell out of the corn market so you have to be competitive and even maybe a bit ruthless in your pricing if you want them to shift. Last year I struggled shifting amels for a tenner purely because there are so many around.

At the end of the day, they're your animals so you should sell them at whatever price you want to and if you need them gone then you need them gone
Old 10-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Super Citizen

Perhaps it's regional?? Perhaps it's having what people are after? I don't understand why you're struggling to move them...........maybe people think they're TOO cheap (?) - I may have to drop prices later on in the season but generally mine all sell for the asking prices

Captive bred CORN SNAKES
www.hissnhers.co.uk [email protected]
and now CRESTED GECKOS too on www.geckochamber.co.uk [email protected]
Closed Thread