Royals over the 100g loss barrier. Give me a hand please :) - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 11-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Citizen

cheers
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Super Regular
Talking

GERBILS!!! Tis the way forward!!! I had a fussy feeder on chicks only and he did the whole no feeding thing co-insiding with mating season and being a newbie at the tym i didnt have a clue and i offered a gerbil as reccomended from someone through here, he struck for a red hoit gerbi and frightened the life out of me!!

I hope u can get him to feed tho hunni!!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcam1201 View Post
GERBILS!!! Tis the way forward!!! I had a fussy feeder on chicks only and he did the whole no feeding thing co-insiding with mating season and being a newbie at the tym i didnt have a clue and i offered a gerbil as reccomended from someone through here, he struck for a red hoit gerbi and frightened the life out of me!!

I hope u can get him to feed tho hunni!!

Once they take Gerbils they will never get back onto rats (Gerbils are quite hard to source also so better sticking with multi's).

Member 29559

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Super Citizen

think im gunna have to try multis as i cant find live weaners anywhere
Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Fionab

multis orignate from africa and are one of the natural food sources for royals which is why they often get them back into a feeding response.......... they are bigger than mice and also have a higher protein and fat content.
1.0 Crested Gecko
0.0.2 False Tomato Frogs

RIP Puff

www.fionabrimsphotography.co.uk
Old 12-07-2011, 11:37 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corny girl View Post
The snake has only lost 140g in 8 months so i doubt very much it is going to get weak . Royals fast for months on end, if you read the threads on here some will only feed for 4 months of the year & then fast the rest . There is no need to start feeding live at this point as the weight loss is minimal.
How many ball pythons do you keep??? How many have you bred???

I have produced dozens before you were even old enough to keep your first pet snake so keep you stupid whistling faces to yourself...

It is not normal for a ball to lose over a 140 grams during a fast...
Balls going on long fasts seems to be more of a topic in the UK for some reason... CBB balls normally do not fast for any considerable length of time here in the US... I dont know why but it is not really an issue here... Maybe its the climate difference or something... The large majority of balls I have kept and bred never even went off feed once... If you have a ball python that is feeding only 4 months out of the year, you are doing something wrong... Dont think you are an expert because you read forum information...

To the OP...
Do not offer multis... Not unless you have a constant supply... That is just a silly suggestion... Offer a chick if you like but I am certain you will get better results with a live feeding... There is no reason to keep live feeding as a last resort... When you try all the other hit or miss methods, all you do is waste time... With my snakes, live feeding is the first thing I try... Its almost surefire...
Golgarth likes this.

Suspension Incubation containers www.squamataconcepts.com

Last edited by Gregg M; 12-07-2011 at 11:51 PM..
Old 12-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Super Regular

Just thought I would add, as i said in my earlier comment I moved my male into a smaller viv about a week ago and tonight he struck and ate a large mouse, first time since november... you could always try putting him in something smaller or adding more to his viv to make him feel more claustophobic, good luck anyway
1.4 Normal Royal Python 1.0 Piebald Royal Python 1.1 Fire Royal Python 1.0 Axanthic Royal Python 1.0 Yellowbelly Royal Python 1.1.1 BCC 1.2 BRB 0.1 Albino Burm 1.0 Flat Rock Scorpion 1.1 CWD 1.1 Corns 1.0 Snow Corn 2.0 Beardies 0.0.6 Amazon Milk Frogs

Tags
royal