Hog nose still not eating!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 25-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Forum Citizen

I think you're correct here that it was not an established feeder. Does anyone know the bloke I got it off?????
He was selling them at the Doncaster show on the 26th of last month.
Situated on one of the middle tables and he was next to a german bloke, who was also selling hog noses.
I would like to contact him to see whats going on.
He had a bald head and he was with another fella with dark hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M View Post
A month is far too long for a baby hog not to eat and I start offereing my hogs a meal 3 days after they hatch...

In my opinion, waiting a week to allow a hatchling to settle in is unneasesary... If they are esyablished feeders, they will eat not matter what...

Your snake was most likely never an established feeder and I would guess it never even had its first meal yet...

Green tree frog is the best scent to use if you need to scent feed... All those other methods are hit or miss but the green tree frog scent works every time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-07-2011, 01:13 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M View Post

Your snake was most likely never an established feeder and I would guess it never even had its first meal yet...
I know this doesn't necessarily prove anything, or make any guarantees, but the gentleman that the OP bought his hoggie from does have a good reputation and I can't imagine him selling snakes that had not had any feeds - I myself bought a male from him and mine has had 7 meals since the same date of purchase...whether that be because I was lucky/mine was established and the OP's wasn't/I'm inadvertently a genius hognose keeper (I jest) I don't know...but I really can't imagine that Penfold would sell non established snakes (I don't know him personally, only by good reputation, which must say something?)

I'd be tempted to guess that the OP (sorry, this isn't a dig) has been fussing too much over this hognose and persistently trying to feed it with all manner of different techniques without ever giving it time to chill out... and I can understand that feeling, especially if you are new to snakes.

I know you know your hogs Gregg so please don't think I'm questioning your knowledge ...but I honestly don't buy that this snake never fed before or wasn't established.

Should the temps not be a little higher than the 29-31*c that you are keeping it at (OP)? Mine are at 32 and have settled well... and how often are you attempting to feed it (How many times has it refused in the last month?)

Old 25-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to mysticmace Send a message via Yahoo to mysticmace

A method i have used with my tricky or non feeding corns is by using small tub with a lid (with air holes of course). Warm the pinky and place it in the tub along with a teaspoon of water. This keeps both the snake and the food from drying out. Make sure tub is small yet big enough for the snake to move about. We leave the tubs in the warmth of the hatchery in the snakes own box (so if it gets out it is still in a box with water and hides etc). We have had great sucess with this method getting babies going when they have been non feeding for a while. NOTE - do not use too much water for the size of the snake or drowning could occur. Not sure if this would work for hoggies as i have never kept them but it is worth a try of all else has failed.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Premier Member

I would suggest you need to up the temperature to 32/33C.
Old 25-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to lordaethis

right it may not feed for a while mine went through a period where he didnt eat for awhile it was like 4 months.

but you could try scenting it with fish...some people tell you to defrost with abit of fish...personally i find that expensive i use omega oil tablets they make the food fishy enough and its no waste...
theres also this option

Crack an agg and dip the pinkie in it, then dip the pinkie in hot water for a second so the egg cooks on the pinkie skin.

Wait a monent for it to cool, put it on a plate, then put it in the viv and walk away, and leave the snake to it for a couple of hours.

Or put above pinkie in a brown paper bag, along with the snake and put back in the viv, but not directly over heat.
Old 25-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Ultra Citizen

what size tub did you buy it in? i would go smaller than a 3ltr for a hatchling.as said up the temps and dont stress it out with loads of different scents over a short period.
Old 25-07-2011, 08:49 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav07 View Post
what size tub did you buy it in? i would go smaller than a 3ltr for a hatchling.as said up the temps and dont stress it out with loads of different scents over a short period.
Yeh this too...I followed the advice of people known to be established hoggie breeders off here almost to the letter and have had very little to worry about. I started mine in 1.75L tubs...the female is now in a 5L as she has grown rapidly. I think if you consider how many people work out how big a viv adult snakes need (w + l of tub/viv = length of snake), the tub size for a hatchling hoggie could be as little as 4" x 2"!!

Old 25-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Forum Citizen

I've tried to feed it every 5-6 days. I now believe this is not an established feeder and I will be contacting penfold. The other hoggie I bought of the German guy feeds without hesitation and they are both on the same heat mat and at the same temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
I know this doesn't necessarily prove anything, or make any guarantees, but the gentleman that the OP bought his hoggie from does have a good reputation and I can't imagine him selling snakes that had not had any feeds - I myself bought a male from him and mine has had 7 meals since the same date of purchase...whether that be because I was lucky/mine was established and the OP's wasn't/I'm inadvertently a genius hognose keeper (I jest) I don't know...but I really can't imagine that Penfold would sell non established snakes (I don't know him personally, only by good reputation, which must say something?)

I'd be tempted to guess that the OP (sorry, this isn't a dig) has been fussing too much over this hognose and persistently trying to feed it with all manner of different techniques without ever giving it time to chill out... and I can understand that feeling, especially if you are new to snakes.

I know you know your hogs Gregg so please don't think I'm questioning your knowledge ...but I honestly don't buy that this snake never fed before or wasn't established.

Should the temps not be a little higher than the 29-31*c that you are keeping it at (OP)? Mine are at 32 and have settled well... and how often are you attempting to feed it (How many times has it refused in the last month?)
Old 25-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Forum Citizen

I shall go out tomorrow and buy a smaller rub. If all fails, when would it be appropriate to force feed the hoggie and how is it best done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav07 View Post
Old 25-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Premier Member

i'm having the same issue with my hoggy too!!! who did you buy it from at donny? i don't think it's the breeders fault! just curious lol.

When i asked on here people told me to down size the rub, higher the temps and i done that, no success! i personaly think a month is way too long for a baby hognose to go without food! how much does yours weigh???

someone told me to try scent with salmon

sorry i'm not much help, just wanted to reasure you your not the only one going through it lol.
0.0.1 cali king snake- Cali
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.1.1 Amazon Tree Boa - Igni & Onyx
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,

Tags
hog nose , pinkys , problem , snake