What to start with? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 21-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Regular
Default What to start with?

Hi all,
As I pre-warned on my intro ....lots of questions. One of the biggest hurdles for me, is choosing which species of snake to get, this is because itís very likely going to be my ONLY snake and as they live for such a long time I want to make the right choice.

As I said in my intro, I have never owned a reptile, but have experience through my degree and other courses, so not a complete novice.

What I am looking for in a snake is something that is small, doesnít take up a lot of space because I live in an apartment (and have to convince the b/f to let me have the space), thatís interesting, attractive and fairly easy to keep.

On my shortlist originally were: Corn snakes (love Abbotts Okeetee), Milk snakes (love the Hypo Tangerine), King snakes ( Cali or the Arizona Mountain king snake is a bit gorgeous), Kenyan Sand Boas and the Western Hognose (Although I have also recently spied the Tricolor Hognose and thatís very nice...but a bit expensive lol).

However with space in mind, I donít think some of these species would be suitable in the apartment as I know some of the Milksnakes can get to 6ft so I am thinking that narrows it down to the Hognose and the Kenyan Sand Boa!?!?!?

So I guess my questions are....
* Opinions on what I have said?
*Other Small snake options? I may have missed.
* Hognose vs Sand Boa?
*What sort of Viv size are you looking at for these guys? Just to check.

Opinions are more than welcome as well as being pointed in the direction of some good resources.

Many thanks

Emily Butler x
1b3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Star Member

I keep sand boas and I've looked after Hoggies....both of which are like keeping a pet RUB full of substrate...

That said, sand boas are very cool and I will always recommend them...they just aren't display snakes or ones you will see that often.

What viv size are you willing to stretch up to? If you can go as big as 4ft then it opens up a lot more than just the small snakes you have listed.

However, what about childrens pythons or spotted? Or species of Natrix? Rough greens?
KathyM likes this.
Old 21-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Ultra Citizen

It depends on the size of your adult snake, If you have a 3ft Kingsnake then a 2x1 will be fine. Royals tend to prefer a smaller enclosure and a 3x2 is fine for an adult royal and a 3x1 is fine for an adult hoggy

My Kingsnake grew to around 4.5-5ft and he lived in a 3ft by 2ft and was happy in there-we did get him out to have a stretch aswel though, for a snake that is around the 5.5-6ft mark you might want to get a 4ft by 2ft viv.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2011, 08:12 PM
5 Star Member

Hoggies are awesome snakes, would definitely recommend them. Mine are out and about pretty much all the time, hissy and grumpy but a lot of personality and unlikely to bite. Males do go off their food occasionally but providing the set up is correct they'll eat when good and ready. You won't need anything bigger than a 2 foot viv for a female, possibly the same or smaller for a male, depending on what he's like.
Spotted/children's pythons are also very cool snakes. 3 foot viv for an adult, docile, good appetites and have a lovely iridescence in the light. They're a bit chunky too.
Old 21-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky89 View Post
You won't need anything bigger than a 2 foot viv for a female, possibly the same or smaller for a male, depending on what he's like. .
TheHognosesnake.co.uk- care sheet, description, breeding and more

Says on here Hognose snakes can grow between 1-4 ft should be housed in a suitable sized viv which should be around 3x1 for an adult depending how big it grows, if it grew 2-3ft then a 2x1 would be fine
misshissy likes this.
Old 21-08-2011, 08:54 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonsmum View Post
TheHognosesnake.co.uk- care sheet, description, breeding and more

Says on here Hognose snakes can grow between 1-4 ft should be housed in a suitable sized viv which should be around 3x1 for an adult depending how big it grows, if it grew 2-3ft then a 2x1 would be fine
Bear in mind hognose's especially males don't particularly like large spaces so they may be better off in a tub rather than a viv. A nice big female would probably need a 3 foot but how many of them do you see?
Old 21-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Ultra Citizen

Very true, Im just going by the caresheet-would depend on the snake though if it caused problems and the snake wasnt happy and stopped feeding then you could move it down/up a size until its content-fussy buggers!
Old 21-08-2011, 09:18 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Very true, Im just going by the caresheet-would depend on the snake though if it caused problems and the snake wasnt happy and stopped feeding then you could move it down/up a size until its content-fussy buggers!
Yeh you'll probably find yourself moving them down a size more often than up Just start off smaller and if it looks too small and they're eating fine you could try moving them up. Saves stressing them by putting them in bigger enclosures first. My males are both around 50g, and they're content in 9L RUBs. The female is getting to be a right fat arse so she will be moved up soon enough, but it will be interesting to see if this affects her appetite lol (although I doubt it).
.. Not sure I'd give them anything too high too climb over like the care sheet suggests either, mine climb about as good as a rock lol.
Old 21-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to NickBenger Send a message via Yahoo to NickBenger

Quote:
It depends on the size of your adult snake, If you have a 3ft Kingsnake then a 2x1 will be fine. Royals tend to prefer a smaller enclosure and a 3x2 is fine for an adult royal and a 3x1 is fine for an adult hoggy

My Kingsnake grew to around 4.5-5ft and he lived in a 3ft by 2ft and was happy in there-we did get him out to have a stretch aswel though, for a snake that is around the 5.5-6ft mark you might want to get a 4ft by 2ft viv.

Sarah
I think my 3ft king would cry in a 2 x 1... They're VERY active snakes
Old 21-08-2011, 10:55 PM
5 Star Member

Corns would be suitable. Don't know about the others you mentioned. The antaresia species (childrens and spotted pythons) would also be good. I used to keep childrens pythons in 2' cubes.
Bairds rats get a little bigger than corns but are probably easier to keep. They come in steel grey not the huge array of morphs like the corns.

holiday cottage in cornwall www.lanhernecottage.co.uk
2.1 2011 hatchling carpets for sale - pm me if interested

Tags
begginer , hognose , kenyan sand boa , snakes