wearing gloves when taming down nippy or aggressive snakes - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 AM
Banned
Default wearing gloves when taming down nippy or aggressive snakes

Just wondering who uses them and do you find it presents any problems when you remove the gloves, in some snake keepers eyes it seems to be almost a rite of passage when you get a "good tag" (not mine). So what are your opinions on this subject.

catch and release
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Ultra Citizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by catch and release View Post
Just wondering who uses them and do you find it presents any problems when you remove the gloves, in some snake keepers eyes it seems to be almost a rite of passage when you get a "good tag" (not mine). So what are your opinions on this subject.

catch and release
I think gloves can help, thick ones anyway. Especially if a snake is gonna tag someone
Posting Deity

Funny enough got bitten today while wearing gloves. The king still held on for ages and even dunking his head under the tap didn't stop him. I just waited for him to let go.

I'm glad I wore the gloves. I have been bitten by him before and it wasn't nice. I don't care how it makes me look, if I can avoid getting bitten by a snake that I know to be bitey but also one that latches on for ages, then I'm gonna use the gloves.

I was worried how hard it would be for him to unhook his teeth but he let go fine in the end and just left a layer of saliva on the glove.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Premier Citizen

i use garden gloves with mental snakes... there is no shame in it tbh...
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by **louise** View Post
Funny enough got bitten today while wearing gloves. The king still held on for ages and even dunking his head under the tap didn't stop him. I just waited for him to let go.

I'm glad I wore the gloves. I have been bitten by him before and it wasn't nice. I don't care how it makes me look, if I can avoid getting bitten by a snake that not only btes but latches on for ages, then I'm gonna use the gloves.

I was worried how hard it would be for him to unhook his teeth but he let go fine in the end and just left a layer of saliva on the glove.

i love this photo
Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Ultra Citizen
Quote:

I'm glad I wore the gloves. I have been bitten by him before and it wasn't nice. I don't care how it makes me look, if I can avoid getting bitten by a snake that I know to be bitey but also one that latches on for ages, then I'm gonna use the gloves.

Did it prevent it from hurting you then louise, wearing gloves?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa76 View Post
Did it prevent it from hurting you then louise, wearing gloves?
Yup, not a scratch.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:50 AM
Banned

Quote:

Are there any tell tale signs before he bites or does he do it quickly?.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Ultra Citizen
Quote:
Yup, not a scratch.
Brilliant, i've never been bit like that b4
Old 01-09-2011, 03:00 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch and release View Post
Are there any tell tale signs before he bites or does he do it quickly?.
I knew he was going to, that's why I put the gloves on. As soon as I lifted the lid to the RUB he came straight over and went for me I replaced the lid, got the gloves on and as soon as I picked him up he started opening his mouth and trying to latch on. Missed the first few times but got me in the end.

He tends to do the opposite if he's not going to bite. I will lift the lid on the RUB and he will go and hide away. It's usually safe then to pic him up.