Rack size/build recommendations? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 22-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Rack size/build recommendations?

I've got a few snakes no and think a rack is the right way to go as I have tubs dotted about everywhere at the mo!
I've decided I want it so I can still have the lids on and I'll most likely use heatstrips due to my snakes having different temp requirements. This would be for housing some of my corns,house snakes and western hognose with the possibility of a dwarf boa or 2.
The corns I have vary from 4 months to 16 months and the housies are still small.
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to whether I should have a small rack for now or to have a rack where I can alter the shelves as the snakes grow and need larger tubs? Oh,and whether its best to build something or get it made?
There may be 4 or 5 corns,3 housies,1 or 2 hoggies and 1 or 2 Sonoran dwarf boas. Some of these will end up in vivs as adults.
Sorry for all the questions but I'm thick as 2 short planks when it comes to this kind of thing so any help would be appreciated,plus any pointers to things I may not have thought of.
0.1.0 G.rosea, 1.0.0 G.pulchripes, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.2.1 B.smithi, 1.0.0 B.albopilsum, 0.0.1 Euathlus sp. Red, 0.0.1 C.cyaneopubescens
R.I.P Echo,my sweet girl :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Premier Citizen

with a range of snakes like this and the having chosing the option to use lids then id personally make the shelves big enough to fit the biggest rub youll need for each size snake for example if the corns a hatchling now have it so it can fit a adult corn size rub on the self so you can literally just change the rub as the snakes grow etc etc, youd probably have to change the size of the mat though

Old 22-11-2011, 12:59 PM
5 Star Member

I would start with writing down a list of the RUB sizes you need to house each of your snakes now, and also as an adult. From there I would start drawing. Keep it simple, you don't have to be 'arty' to do this.

You could build your own rack to incorporate all of your snakes together. For example the bottom shelf housing 50L RUBS, the next shelf up housing 33L RUBS and so on.

Then you can determine which RUB has the same temperature requirement and work out where best they should be placed so you use the shortest amount of heat cable/strips as possible.

Have a look at Ikea though, they sell the wardrobe carcasses that have additional shelves to put in them. Some RUBS fit perfectly into the spaces in the wardrobe.

Old 22-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Posting Deity

I've thought about this too and am looking for adjustable shelving units, just while mine are in their fauns then rubs, I have mine on folding tables and am using another lowish table and it's not doing my back any favours bending down, I have to sit on a chair while am doing anything with them at the mo.

For adjustable shelving units you can try B&Q, homebase, Ikea, argos etc.

Last edited by AilsaM; 22-11-2011 at 01:05 PM..
Old 22-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Gold Star Member

I use the ikea pax wardrobe frames. Shelves are completely adjustable and they fit 50L rubs 2 to a shelf. You buy the shelves separately so you can make them as deep as you want.

7.5.0 Royals inc normals, het albino, mojo, enchi, pied and mystic
0.2.0 Amazonian Milk Frogs (banded)
1.2.0 Cresties
Old 22-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
I use the ikea pax wardrobe frames. Shelves are completely adjustable and they fit 50L rubs 2 to a shelf. You buy the shelves separately so you can make them as deep as you want.
Are they easy to put together, how much are they? Will need to have a look on their website.
Old 22-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AilsaM View Post
Are they easy to put together
It's IKEA furniture - you don't need to be a joiner
Old 22-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonlude View Post
It's IKEA furniture - you don't need to be a joiner
Aye but you need to be good at assembling stuff & I'm hopeless at that
Old 22-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Posting Deity

A couple of dwarf boas I love how your planning ahead

I actually stack all my tubs and RUBs without any rack unit. I just lay the heat strip on top of each layer and stack them all. It can be a pain if you want to clean or feed the ones at the bottom but for now it's worked fine and hasn't been too much hassle.

I also have been buying the proper RUBs as they stack so well and look very neat even without shelving. I know this way wont suit everyone but it works for me right now.

The rack units Neil had built (by Demonlude I think) are brilliant and look so tidy. Would love something like that later on but right now it's a little bit out of my price range

Next year I'm sorting out viv's for the bigger snakes and the boas.
Old 22-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Gold Star Member

This is my old ikea rack, just the Pax wardrobe and extra shelves, worked a treat. They are 3ft x 2ft rhino vivs in the bottom and 33L rubs above