Reptile Forums banner

Help mites

Tags
snakes
798 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jimmy3040 
#1 ·
hi,

just found out my new boa has mites i got he/she after she had been abandon in a empty house :gasp: she s currently soaking in warm water and her rub (temp home) is soaking in a tamodine-e solution, any tips with how to make sure they are all gone and im worried they may have spread to my other to boas and tortoise, this is my first mite problem after keeping boas for 5 years so any help will be gratefully received

thanks in advance

james

#4 ·
do a search online most of the online shops stock it. Now you just have do decide what to do as there seems to be a bit of a debate as to whether to use it with the snake in the viv or not. It has been classified safe in Australia I think, but a few people have said it has killed very small snakes when used with them in the viv. I have used it and my Jag didn't seem at all bothered by it.

#6 · (Edited)
I had this problem last week. I was pretty annoyed/bummed out that it happened as I caught it too late and they spread to all my royals.

The 1st thing was order some callingtons. I got mine of amazon. Meanwhile take everything out of the viv/rub and leave everything to soak in boiling water. Then i got the mrs to scrub all the viv/rub down whilst I gave the worst effected a Luke warm bath.
Then I put White paper down as a bedding and literally just put a hide and water bowl in. Then when callingtons came removed the water ad sprayed it all down with the snake in, and sprayed a light mist all around te area and room.

It's been a few days and I can't see any mites or mite behaviour. I'll repeat at the end of the week but I've realised it's not as Stressful as I first thought it would be and it's just one of those things.

Good luck killing the buggers tho!

#9 ·
you could also try defender mites, but not after the callingtons as it kills them to, but they have the same effect as callingtons, but without the chemicals and they continue to attack the mites until they are gone completely and then they die off themselves.....

Just a thought good luck what ever you try and good job on giving her a home ::2thumb:

#10 ·
It's a ball ache but like I said it's just one of those things. I have no idea were they came from, might of been new bedding or on my clothes I have no idea. A good hour scrubbing tho and it helped a load.
The only bad thing I mine are usually on aspen which soaked a lot of stuff up, now their on paper I've noticed just how much snakes pee and roll in their poo! Mucky sods

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.