Reptile Forums banner

grumpy corn snake

Tags
corn sanke
3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  SpiritSerpents 
#1 ·
I got a corn snake bout 4 months ago and it still wants to attack me. When I got her she was very skitty but I handled her once a day as I was told to get her used to human contact but she still gets very angry. If I go in quickly and take her out before she wakes up she is fine but if I go in a bit slower or if I walk past her viv when she is up she coils up and rattles her tail and last night she even struck at me twice when I was trying to clean her tank. Is there anything I can do to make her more placid my other corn is fine and didn't mind if I go near him

#3 ·
Yes be patient.
She is not attacking you, she is defending herself! You are the preditor here.

Try covering the tank/half the tank up for a bit, this may make her feedl more secure.

How many hides do you have in there? Put some more in or some plastic leaves in so she feels there's more to hide in.

#5 ·
Keep handling so she learns to tolerate it but keep it to short periods of time. So 5-10 mins a day or something except right after feeding of course.

Use a hook of some sort to get her out if she won't let you pick her up or a trick I used, I covered the head with a piece of card (flattened kitchen roll tube works well) then got hold of the body while the snake can't see you and can't bite you. Use some soft card and you can pin the head down or against the viv side as well if necessary with this as well - gently of course.

#7 ·
Hi,
Is the viv in a place where you walk past frequently? this can stress snakes out if they aren't used to traffic constantly passing the viv, try putting the viv in a quieter spot. Also make sure its not too hot in the viv as they get a bit moody if too hot, And finally has the snake got enough substrate and hides to get away and feel secure? if handled regularly the snake should get used to you and learn to trust you.

#8 ·
mine was exactly the same, she was viv defensive but when she is out she is fine, i would handle her more than once a day maybe about 2-3 times so that she gets used to you. she will calm sooner or later

#9 ·
I've been lucky with my snakes, they all have calm and friendly personalities. My corn snake when I got her was very flighty, not aggressive, she just wanted away as quick as possible, what I did was put a cotton hanky with my scent on under her warm hide, I kept the hanky under my clothing for a few days & with her is really helped her settle down.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the answers Ive added a little bit more aspen now so she can go under it nd also added another hide. Just another quick question my partner also has a corn which is nearly same age can they share viv or would this be a bad idea. I know that feeding would have to take place in a different tank, I only ask coz when I do get mine out she always goes to where the other viv sand they look at each other never seem to be aggressive

#12 ·
wouldnt advise putting to unproven sexed snakes together, or if there under a year old. if the female was to get pregnant... witch can happen at any time in captivity it can kill the female as her body wont be mature enough to cope with the pregnancy. but if your sure there both same sex and are over a year there shouldnt be any problems, hope this helps.: victory:

#16 ·
No. I would suggest keeping them separated always. Corn snakes don't get "lonely". They don't need companionship.

I found out my "female" was a male when I had "her" out with my proven female ghost. Within a minute "she" had dropped a pair of sperm plugs and was trying to lock up with my girl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.