Reptile Forums banner

Multiple Boas

Tags
boas
876 views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  ian kerr 
#1 ·
Can you keep boas in the same enclosure. I saw this done at a reptile show, 3 large red tails together. My guess is dont do it, right?

#3 ·
People will argue both sides. I have 2 adult pairs together and I have had babies together, also had corns together and never had issues. There are the obvious reasons not too like if one is ill, if one regurges etc. end of the day, they are your snakes and if you and them are happy then go for it :)

#5 ·
It's one of those things mate, someone is gonna know someone where this has happened but there will also be a hundred to that one who were fine :)

#9 ·
I've kept boas together for years, and never had any problems. As already said, same sex pairs are best (unless breeding). Just make sure the viv is large enough, and keep an eye on them for a while.

#10 ·
As long as you're careful when you're feeding them, they should be OK. I don't have any snakes kept together, but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. I don't suppose it's that relevant, but I have 2 Tokays in one viv and they seem fine.

Reactions: coldestblood
#11 ·
As long as you're careful when you're feeding them, they should be OK. I don't have any snakes kept together, but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. I don't suppose it's that relevant, but I have 2 Tokays in one viv and they seem fine.
Good point.

I seperate mine for feeding. One in the viv, the other in a rub.

#13 ·
That's weird, my experience has been different, at first they ignore each other, but after a few days I will generally find them curled up together :)

#17 ·
I find this thread really interesting, there seems to be a lot of knowledgable people around!
I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on introducing a new Boa to a boa that has previously lived on its own in the same viv? Would this be more likely to cause problems or do you think it will be okay? Obviously I know it depends on the boas in question, but just wanted some thoughts! :blush:

#20 ·
interesting reading

... I'm considering putting my three females together (but would pop them in RUBs for feeding time). At the moment they are each in their own viv, and I have room to give them each a 6x3x3 or a 6x2x2 when the time comes. Or they could go to a 9x3x3 (not sure if this would be big enough for all three?). Or maybe even a split level thing with some height (custom job, since I have a half height cupboard over the stairs and could make an upside down L shape)

Of course, all the pros of not doing this are: no hassle at feeding time, if one gets ill it has less chance of making the others ill if separate, if you get a dodgy poo you know who ... etc.

Just don't know which route to go. I'm fascinated by the idea. And I was more keen to do this when I was gonna stop at just two, but now have three its a max for the size viv I could get or make.

Would it be better to do this now rather than later (all around the 100g mark). Don't like the sound of what happened after they were split, one way to avoid that is to not co-habit them I guess.

@ndixon7868 ... if you were to get Boas again, would you keep them together?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.