Reptile Forums banner

What will fit in this vivarium? (Not the typical question)

658 views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Amy2310 
#1 ·
Yes, yet another one, but this time, again with a twist!

A bit like how some keepers are happy keeping their Royals in 33L RUBS and others prefer keeping theirs in 70Ls, we all have different opinions on the size of enclosure that should be provided for a snake, hence me posting this.

I, in theory, will have a 6x3x18 (Maybe 6x3x2, I'm undecided at the moment) at some point in the near future. After speaking to DanielF about 4x4's and Burms, I've decided to leave those for now and focus on larger Boas (Commons and Dumerils at the moment) and build 4 6x2x18's to house our 2 Common Females, our Male Dumerils and a new Common Male, when we buy him.

So, if I re-design the room how I want to, the 6x3x18 will be available for something

I have a few ideas, some of which I'm pretty sure are a big no no, as the space probably won't be enough, but I'd like some opinions before I make a decision.

Ones that I know will fit :
  • Common Boa - A fancy co-dom / dom morph male to go with my females maybe?
  • Dumerils Female - Although, this is pointless breeding wise as our male doesn't have certificates.
  • Other BCI localities - Obviously a dwarf species wouldn't need as much room, in which case the vivarium may be able to be split up

Ones I'm unsure of so would like conformation
  • Yellow Anaconda (Male, probably)
  • Burm (Male, again, as I know 8x3 is better)

If there are any larger terrestrial snakes I have missed out please could people mention them.
I know there are a lot of other snakes that would be happy with that floor space, but it's the height that's the issue, as I won't be able to make it any higher than 2 foot, so obviously a carpet wouldn't be happy in there.

See less See more
#5 ·
dwarf tics

#11 ·
Dwarf Burm would live in a 6x2x2 :2thumb:.

#12 ·
Staying with Large Colubrids , what about an Eastern Indigo (although hard to obtain ) , or something like a King Rat or FWC would make good use of that space : victory:

#13 ·
Your original suggestions of male burm or yellow annie should be fine in a 6x3 floor space. I'm building one that's 2.2m x 1m for my male burm, which is a bit bigger, but you could use a slightly smaller viv than this.

#16 ·
Sadly we don't have the floor space outside the enclosure to safely handle a FWC. Indigos are a bit out of our price range, and I've not seen that many for sale around here.

I've had a chat with the OH and we've narrowed it down to the following:
  • Yellow Annie
  • Male Burm (I'm wary of this in case we end up with a freak of nature that out grows a 6 x3)
  • Dwarf Burm
  • Dwarf Retic

I'd need to do research on the last two to find out the sizes, as I know some dwarf localities are actually pretty large.
Guess it's time to do some good hard research and make a decision, then get building!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.