Reptile Forums banner

Hey my royal python wouldn't eat just now I've noticed a few clear flakes on my hands

1K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  edmundblackadder 
#1 ·
After handling her I put a large casserole dish of water in her tank and placed her in it are these all signs of going in to shed only had her three nearly four weeks So she hasn't shed in my house yet

#2 · (Edited)
Your details are a bit fuzzy, are its eyes going cloudy? Can you notice its skin going darker than the usual??

Your royal will go darker and its eyes will cap over (go a milky colour)

example: Out of shed - PS never mind the red ring, it has no significance, it was for a past thread to highlight something

In shed:

Notice the difference in eye colour and skin tone, this is a definitive indicator of going into shed :thumb:

#3 ·
Your details are a bit fuzzy, are its eyes going cloudy? Can you notice its skin going darker than the usual??

Your royal will go darker and its eyes will cap over (go a milky colour)

example: Out of shed - PS never mind the red ring, it has no significance, it was for a past thread to highlight something

In shed:

Notice the difference in eye colour and skin tone, this is a definitive indicator of going into shed :thumb:
No here eyes rnt like tha but I have been noticing see through flakes on my hands after holding her which haven't been there before.

#5 · (Edited)
Lol just sent you a PM to check the reply out haha :2thumb: Sometimes layers of skin from scales can come off in your hands now and again, it happens with my corn :2thumb:

Just watch your royal and if her skin starts getting darker or eyes start going milky, it means the snake's going into shed :) Your royal might start hiding away a bit more closer to shed

is this your first shed with any snake??

If so, then this might help :)

Your snake's skin and eyes will change as shown in the pics, and a couple of days later the eyes will seem to go back to normal, your snake will get quite dull too and lose some of its shine, at this point it takes MY royal about a week to actually shed, but it varies from snake to snake :thumb: Hope I helped :D

#10 ·
You can tell a royal going into shed earlier than when it is entering the blue phase (when it gets milky eyes and the pattern seems dulled and faded that's blue phase)

First indicators tend to be a couple of completely clear scale tops coming off when handling, but also check along the belly, it will go a slightly pink colour and maybe look a little more translucent than usual. It will probably start somewhere near the cloaca and cover the entire belly in a couple of days.

After going a bit pink, you may notice the sides and the pattern near the belly starts looking faded, that's when they start to enter the blue phase.

After a couple of days (sometimes sooner) the whole snake will look faded and the eyes will go milky - this is because the snake produces a liquid to help separate the top layer of skin from the rest of the skin.

After going into blue phase the snake will look completely normal for a while - don't worry, you haven't missed the shed - before they shed they reabsorb that milky liquid that made them 'blue', sometimes new keepers see their snake as it was before and think the snake ate it's own shed - truth is it will probably be shedding soon, sometimes around four hours until they start or can be a day or two.

I personally give my royals a bath when they're fully blue (eyes and pattern milky/faded) and also spray a bit of water into the sides of the hide in the hot side of the vivarium. So when putting them back in their home they have some warmth and extra moisture to keep the process nice and smooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.