Reptile Forums banner

what do you use for your royal hides

1K views 38 replies 32 participants last post by  jrcash4321 
#1 ·
I like many others i quickly obtained moreroyals after my first and wondered what you use. i currently use a kitchen roll for babies. and then resulted in a small exoterra cave but then what. and also what would you use instead of the exoterra cave as they get expensive when you buy many. Mine are in rubs by the way. 12ltr for babies 33 for adults.

#3 ·
#17 ·
I do this for my royals - great minds and all! :2thumb:

I use these woodland wooden sticks which are held together by wire and which you can bend into an arch. Woodlands Small Pet Play Sticks | Pets at Home - they do several sizes and they can use them to aid shedding and they can also sit on them.

However i also use postal tubes cut into varying lengths for my Royals - they like having the tube with one end against the RUB but also like them just in the middle. Depends on the snake!

So i have several tubes and the arch and then i have some fake brakches with leaves over the top. And then the water bowl. They have plenty of places to hide in both the hot and cold areas of their RUBs. When they progress to vivs ill re-arrange it all and have lots more in there but with the same idea behind it.

#5 ·
I use heavy duty seed trays from homebase for my adults, they're £2 each, cut a hole in the front for a door, sand any rough bits and job done. They're black and have no little holes so they're nice and dark, my lot seem to like them and they dont cost me a fortune so it's win-win.

While they're small they get exo terra caves, kitchen role tubes and smaller light weight seed trays.....from what i've noticed, they're favourites are actually the kitchen roll tubes, they spend most time in them!

#6 ·
The hides that have impressed me the most recently are the black plastic ones John Berry is selling. I like the fact they are black making the hide darker and also plastic making them easier to clean.

For babies I use a combo of silk or plastic plants, kitchen or toilet roll tubes, exo terra logs and caves and small plant pots.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
i use the brown tubs that you get mushrooms in from the supermarket! also i have used the large tubs that quality street and miniture heroes come in.

#15 ·
i use allsorts , exo hides , log effect resin hides , cork , drainpipe , coconut shell , toilet roll tube , coffee jar lids , waxworm tubs , plant pots , pretty much anything thats about the right size for the job :2thumb:

#25 ·
... and also what would you use instead of the exoterra cave as they get expensive when you buy many.
A relatively small price to pay in comparison to the price of a snake :whistling2:

In response to your original question, mine have eco terra hides until they are too big for the biggest. The adults have sone Asda halloween cauldrons with a hole cut out and turned upside down. £1 :2thumb:

#28 ·
Well my rule of thumb is minimum 2 hides, one on hot one on cool, so they can thermoregulate themselves properly, but obviously the more hides the better! so they feel more secure, at the moment im using all sorts, the exo terra hides, plastic tubs, tissue rolls, Whatever they can cuddle up in nice and securely
I've even heard of lego hides :S sounds interesting.. wish i still had my boxes of lego when i was a kid ;D

#31 ·
Our two little-uns are in nice exo-terra rock look-a-like small caves. They look nice :) but importantly are dark and they can really snuggle into them without it lifting off them or moving too easily.

Our bigger ladies have large plastic tubs (actually protein shake tubs) cut in half....they look like little igloos so the have a nice small entrance so they are not too exposed and can get a snug hide inside :)

Mandl

#37 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.