Reptile Forums banner

Boa lighting

Tags
boa lighting
587 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ectothermic 
#1 ·
Ok so recently moved my boa from RUB to viv, I know it is not necessary but am
Wanting to provide some lighting. Two ideas at moment are to use cabinet lights (not reptile specific lighting tubes) or reptile specific fluorescent tube? I don'tind either but though I would ask if anyone had further pointers.

Also does anyone know at what wattage should be protecting lighting tubes I had read somewhere before about 14W but not sure.

#5 ·
I am starting to sell my new range of led lighting which now has double the amount of LEDs than normal available in most sizes and colours.

#7 ·
I have 2% UV tube in all four of my vivs ... whether there is any benefit for the snake is not known. Some say yes (the UV tube sellers!), but a lot of old school people just shout "snakes don't need light". The apparent benefit is in the colors of the snake? Dunno if its true.

But I don't have it on on a 12/12 or 14/10 cycle, I just put it on for a few hours each evening when I'm in the reptile room. They are as much for me to see my snakes as for their benefit. They also help when taking photos of my snakes.

Surrey Pet Supplies does the UV tube kit (tube, reflector, power unit) for £17.50

#12 ·
Thanks to all replies my boa is a 2011 male BCI who has foun new home from RUB to spare 3ft viv for probably next few months (see how growth goes) for now as I have all the bits apart from a tube ping to use a 2% tube above some green mesh stuff to try and give like a tree canopy effect. The only reason I am providing this is for my viewing pleasure and to see what I am doing in the viv while maintaining.

I am keen to maybe provide feature lighting to my 'adult' viv once I get there so all of your information will be of help in the not so distant future. Thanks to you all!:)

#11 ·
boas are clumsy sods- tubes and bulbs can get easily broken - I like leds because they dont need guards are cheap and safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.