Reptile Forums banner

Wild caught Emerald tree boas. Avoid???

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  essexchondro 
#1 ·
I was wondering how many of you guys and gals have or still do keep wild caught emeralds?
Everything i read about them says avoid wild caught examples at all costs!

Cheers

#6 ·
Thats good to hear compared to all the horror storys out there.
Found a big female who is wild caught and not sure if i should get her or not.
The key issue here is how long she's been captive. If she's long-term captive and has been treated for parasites and is an established feeder in captivity then the risks probably aren't any greater than with any CB specimen. If she's freshly caught then the risks are a bigger.

#8 ·
That's probably a bit too freshly caught for my liking, but could be worth the risk. Any pictures?

#9 ·
I've kept wild caught Emeralds in the past, I used to buy them from Ricky Wilton of Wilton Birds. We used to always Flagyl and Panacur them to get rid of the parasite loading and Flagyl also seems to stimulate snakes to feed. Most important thing is not to overfeed, always give small prey items otherwise they will throw up and then you will almost certainly lose them,and they also seem to be susceptible to slightly high temps. Best to keep them on the low side to prevent the gut gassing up.

#11 ·
Looks healthy enough to me...doesn't look underweight or dehydrated so that's encouraging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.