Reptile Forums banner

starter boa

Tags
boa
705 views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  sizedoesn'tmatter 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good boa to start with? I have a seven year old who Will insist on handling him or her, as he handles all of our snakes

#4 ·
To Be honest mate, I'd just get a baby common, cheap to pick up, rarely bad tempered and great to be handled :)
You will get similar attitudes from morphs too, just dearer :)

#5 ·
I've never seen a bad tempered Common boa, and I've never actually heard of a bad tempered one from anybody I know that's kept them in the past. I very nearly got one last year as my first boa, but he'd been bought by somebody else before I got the chance to get him.

I still really want a common boa, they're absolutely wonderful :)

#9 ·
You can't go wrong with a boa and whilst they are generally good natured and tolerant of handling there are always exceptions to the rule. The trick is to handle the one you're looking to buy to ensure that you've got a tolerant one.

There isn't much difference between the sub species when it comes to temperament really, aside from the Argentine boas and some of the rarer sub species. Some of the island localities can have an attitude though!

You can't go wrong with a dwarf boa, a common type. My dwarf pastel boa has maxed out at just over 4 feet and is very placed. I purchased her from Marc Norrie at Boa Constrictor Morphs from Selective Bred Snakes/Reptiles Marc is a great guy with great snakes!

I'd go with what you like though. If you really like albinos then go with one of those. If you like hypo boas then go with ine of these. J'n'B Boas - Home here's a really good site for finding something you like :)

Thought I'd end my post with a photo of our daughter (she was 7 in the photo) with our dwarf pastel from Marc :)

#10 ·
You can't go wrong with a boa and whilst they are generally good natured and tolerant of handling there are always exceptions to the rule. The trick is to handle the one you're looking to buy to ensure that you've got a tolerant one.

There isn't much difference between the sub species when it comes to temperament really, aside from the Argentine boas and some of the rarer sub species. Some of the island localities can have an attitude though!

You can't go wrong with a dwarf boa, a common type. My dwarf pastel boa has maxed out at just over 4 feet and is very placed. I purchased her from Marc Norrie at Boa Constrictor Morphs from Selective Bred Snakes/Reptiles Marc is a great guy with great snakes!

I'd go with what you like though. If you really like albinos then go with one of those. If you like hypo boas then go with ine of these. J'n'B Boas - Home here's a really good site for finding something you like :)

Thought I'd end my post with a photo of our daughter (she was 7 in the photo) with our dwarf pastel from Marc :)

Very nice looking Boa! Nice post & good advice for all,

#14 ·
when our daughter was 18months we started letting our big 6ft+ boa lie across her legs she loved it and boo (the boa :lol2:) always just led there obv we were on hand hence why no piccies

#15 ·
I'll definitely add to the votes for bci, my lot are as cool as cucumbers and nothing ever fazes them. Each one of them are so chilled out I swear they wear shades and say "yeahhhhh maaan" everytime I speak to em : victory:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.