Reptile Forums banner

Feeding Royal

703 views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  8people 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My royal was born 06/2011 and is currently 252g what would you recommend feeding him (Currently on large mice)

heres a picture of him took monday (I am aware of shed on his head)

Thanks
Guy :2thumb:

See less See more
#4 ·
Ok thanks for the reply I shall feed him a large mouse today as I've only got one left then I shall go out and by him some small weiner rats if they don't look to big how do you judge what they eat because everyone has their own judging skills :lol2:

#3 ·
Depends on the stockist really. Small weaner rats here are around 45g, too much for a snake that size in my opinion. Probably XL mice will be more appropriate.

#10 ·
read 10- 15% of the body weight somewhere cant remem where, for our 260g girl thats either a weaner rat for the 10% or the smaller of the small rats on the 15%, im sticking with the weaners but at one point the shop i buy from was out so she had one feed just under the 15% she ate it but not with her usual enthusiasm (interested but no strike, she drop fed on it) so i stuck with weaners n make sure i buy new in way before i run out. i think you can read the snakes behaviour and tell if ur going to large.

#12 ·
As I stated earlier sizes vary greatly. A small rat for my supplier is around 100-110g. Small weaners 45, large weaners 65. All much too big for a 250g royal. Looking at the pic again that royal is way over 250g or you have the worlds smallest hands lol.

#13 ·
As I stated earlier sizes vary greatly. A small rat for my supplier is around 100-110g. Small weaners 45, large weaners 65. All much too big for a 250g royal. Looking at the pic again that royal is way over 250g or you have the worlds smallest hands lol.
I actually do have have quiet small hands for a 6ft 18 year old :lol2: but i weighed him today (hes being fed soon) and it was 252g but the scales seem broke so were getting new ones and I shall re-weigh him to be on the safe side :)

#15 ·
I think I might try him on 1 small weaner first to see how he goes how long would you leave for 2 weeks ?
and my boa has created a new game -.- he strikes for the mouse then drops it waiting for you to pick it up again so he can strike at you defending it :bash:

#16 ·
Definitely get him on the rat wieners if possible. I noticed a big weight gain as soon as I did. If you have easy access to a shop I'd just get one then you can judge when you try feed. Mine are all between 300 and 400 and been on them a while. If a certain weiners too big (ooo err) they won't eat it but obviously use common sence and don't offer anything silly big

#19 ·
I'd say try him on rat weaners, when i first got my royal and moved up prey size i was unsure if she could eat it, aslong as the item of food isnt TOO much bigger than him i wouldn't worry mate, Don't underestimate him ;) if it is too big he won't eat it, i've found that i normally feed them a rat that will make them 'lump' for a day or 2 atleast.. Good luck anyway mate

#24 ·
The three methods of estimating correct food sizes I've heard of have been:
No bigger than the thickest part of the body.
10%-15% of the snakes' weight.
Around thrice the size of their head.

I try and choose prey that fit all three criteria, saves on a headache, but generally each method is useful for particular circumstances really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.