Reptile Forums banner

Increase in RI's at the moment

913 views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  BenjaminBoaz 
#1 ·
Simple question - there seems to be an increasethreads like my snake has an ri at the min.

It is winter, it is cold - is the increase due to not maintaining an appropriate ambient air temp in the viv - discuss

#19 ·
expand?

#16 ·
Fan heater and heating on 24/7 :) it's just perfect temp in the rooms as the snakes are on the cold side as well as the hot side :)

#18 ·
second question - do the majority of ri's occurr in enclosures soley heated by heatmats - ie providing a hotspot and not heating the air?

#21 ·
I'm using mats although the room is heated to 24-26c depending on time of year. Not had a problem. I do find if you keep something too humid it can occur, poor air flow can be another reason. My room as a fan that sucks air out and replaces it with the same temp air going in. I found that due to a lot of animals in one room the air became stale so I put this in a few years back, works a treat. If your breeding then males not being used can sometimes feel a bit stressed as can males and females doing the mating. I wonder how much RI is accociated with that. Obviously we all know about lower temps.

#22 ·
how about, as its winter and people turn the central heating on it dries the air out quite abit, prob dropping the humidity in the vivs quite abit to? ide think down to like 20-30% rather than say 50%, ive had a few boas with bad sheds this winter due to humidity dropping:(
might be wrong but thought ide input lol

#26 ·
We've only ever had one suspected RI in 15 years with reps. Vet treated with broad spectrum antibiotic and shifted it. Personally, I still don't think it was an RI, as the typical symptoms were not there.

I found a few years ago, that one of the corns kept on a heat mat in our house over the winter would miss the odd feed. This stopped as soon as he went into a viv with a ceramic and I suspect the ambient air temp was too low for full digestion. I honestly don't like mats, as I feel they only do half the job. They heat the snakes underbelly, but it is still inhaling air around it that is maybe too cold for normal functions. The only mats we use now are in warm rooms that are heated continuously, usually the spare bedroom which is the rep room and our living room. They seem to function fine then. This year in particular, we've found keeping the background temp up in the rep room has reduced our electricity bills a little, I suspect due to the stats and ceramics not having to work so hard to maintain the hot spot.

Can't say we've had any bad sheds, but they all have quite large water bowls, placed in the centre, which I think may be keeping the humidity about right, despite the increase in central heating in the room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.