Reptile Forums banner

feeding in or out of viv ??????

Tags
snake
2K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  Orangest77 
#1 ·
hi guys
i have always fed my female bci in her viv, but i have seen loads of people who feed outside the viv, my question is why do you bother to take them out, and what are the benefits?

#7 ·
I have always taking out of the vivarium because i find it easier especially if people have snake's together i used to take one of my corn's out of the vivarium and used to feed my other inside only because she is a pain in the ass at eating i used to take her out when i first got her but stopped so it might be why she's not eating:S.

I have always taking my royal out when feeding too and even when i handled food first and he was fine but i have never dealt with big snake's so i don't know about them.

#13 ·
I always used to feed my corn in his viv, no problem. It's been a while since I've had a snake and I keep seeing that is safer to feed outside the viv incase sub gets swallowed too? I haven't fed my girl yet but wanted to do it in the viv, like someone said above, I'll be ok clearing sub from the end I'll feed her at won't I? She's a big girl, don't fancy getting her out when she's hungry!

#16 ·
Unless co-habiting, all mine are fed in their vivs/rubs. I don't really fancy lumping big snakes about after a big feed.

Some people think it makes them associate people with food, but as long as you go in their vivs regulary, it's unlikely they'll mistake you for a meal. If it worked that way, they'd associate handling with being fed too.

#17 ·
I don't really understand the logic associated with taking them out to feed them. If anything, this will reinforce the association between being picked up and being fed.

Like most people, I use tongs to feed mine. They don't, therefore, associate me with food at all.

#19 ·
I suspect that there was a bit of a wind up associated with this post, but it's 100% correct. Whetehr you feed the snake in or out is irrelevant - as long as the snake is "happy" with this arrangement.

Reactions: scotty667
#24 ·
Exactly right, ooooo unless ur Boa's think your their prey and then maybe ur never ever ever ever allowed in their viv again ever cos they might to size u up and eat u!!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.