Necropsy On A King Rat (WARNING- gruesome pictures) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Necropsy On A King Rat (WARNING- gruesome pictures)

As some of you may or may not know, late last year I got my very first King Rat Snake, at first all seemed well except he had gone off his food but then he became very lethargic and to be honest i thought it was due to him not feeding, around the same time he started secreting lime green urates, now this again i thought was due to none feeding and that he had completely emptied his stomach and bile salts were just going straight to urates and faecies. My first action plan for the King Rat was a 'Powerade bath' but instead of powerade I used Lucozade Sport, this was my first time using the treatment and the results were amazing, he perked up instantly.
Two days later i manage to assist feed him two pinkies and he ate another three on his own accord (I waited till each pinkie was fully consumed before offering the next) and the little guy looked like he had a hopeful future, couple of days later I had some defacation and it was only a little bit green, improvement!

Couple of days later I came to moving my snakes from one room to another and he was found dead, I was gutted as this was my first trouble feeding snake and it had died on me.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to know the cause of death so I placed him in the freezer. After speaking to a few people curiosity got the best of me and I wanted insight but I knew Post Mortem would be a waste of money now as I'd frozen him, someone I knew had suggested I do it myself and take pictures. And so I did.

I showed them my Biology Lecturer at college and she spoke to some others for me, we believe the snake had suffered from Gall Stones and was over producing bile salts which eventually led to essentially poisoning the body.

******************PICTURES BELOW CONTAIN A SNAKE CUT OPEN******************

I'd like to also say a big thanks to Emmie_X who help edit these pictures for me and make them look as good as they do.

I hope you all enjoyed reading and looking, feel free to ask any questions you want.

Cheers,

Gav

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Ultra Citizen

Started the thread late last night so just in case no ones seen it yet

Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Ultra Citizen

Sorry for your loss. Interesting pictures, not sure I could cut up my own pet though!
1:0 Jungle Carpet Python (Loki)
0:1 Pinstripe
0:1 Lemon Pastel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Railz Send a message via Skype™ to Railz

Quote:
someone I knew had suggested I do it myself and take pictures. And so I did.
hmm legality? before a flame war starts im not having a go , im just asking did you research the legility of it? if i was to preform an autopsy on a dead person im pretty sure id be arrested so not sure why animals would be different

Last edited by Railz; 07-02-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridium View Post
hmm legality? before a flame war starts im not having a go , im just asking did you research the legility of it? if i was to preform an autopsy on a dead person im pretty sure id be arrested so not sure why animals would be different
Of course it is legal! The laws on human corpses are about protecting their dignity etc-these do not apply to animals; look at what happens to the ones killed in the name of food!

Thank you for sharing this, perhaps some of the vets/vet students out there can throw more light on how suspected the gall bladder problems may have occurred? Obviously freezing could have caused damage to internal organs, but the body looked in pretty good condition to me-it never ceases to amaze me how little there actually appears to be inside a snake.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Premier Citizen

There was another thread like this when I first joined and apparently there is a legal issue, apparently it's illegal to do a diy PM on any animal, then there is the health and contamination issues. Btw I have no problem with it just passing on what I read in other threads and that thread did not end well lol

Brian
Tehanu likes this.

Digital Portraits

My Snake Pics

JFT 96 YNWA
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Ultra Citizen

I was not aware of legal issues at the time so just to try and stop any flaming, I'm sorry if anyone disagrees with what I have done but it has been and nothing can change it, I will check laws and such before attempting anything like this again. The body was buried after, although about two months after doing this I saw a thread about that being apparently illegal or something?

Cheers for your replies and concerns

Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J View Post
There was another thread like this when I first joined and apparently there is a legal issue, apparently it's illegal to do a diy PM on any animal, then there is the health and contamination issues. Btw I have no problem with it just passing on what I read in other threads and that thread did not end well lol

Brian
never heard of it myself tbh .
but if its true just rename this thread "what it looked like as i prepped my snake for taxidermy "
taxidermy is completely legal & in no way do you have to be registered etc to do it
PESKY likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin1234 View Post
I've licked loads of ice lollies, but my eye and half of my head has never fell off before?
show me a man who would rather go to work than eat pies
& i will show you a man who has a job as a pie taster

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum!"
Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J View Post

Brian
I'm not convinced that there is such legislation. It is no different to dissection at a school/college/university. There is an offence of performing veterinary surgery etc if you are not qualified, but I fail to see how dissecting an already dead animal is illegal.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Gold Star Member

So do I have to inform someone if I dissect a chicken for dinner. Last time I checked eating babies was still illegal but chicken was ok!
Demonique and shaneharrison like this.
Stop looking in the classifieds section! Then you won't SEE the bargains!

Tags
king rat necropsy