Not thermo-regulating, even if given chance to? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 13-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Citizen
Default Not thermo-regulating, even if given chance to?

My newest addition (which I am in UTTER LOVE with, but haven't posted about him here because of no pictures) is an, about 60cm long, 230 grams, 4 months, old male burmese python.

His current (obviously temporary) enclosure is 80 x 40 x 40cm and he looks like a tiny worm inside it. The vivarium is heated using a 75w heat lamp and temperatures are of around 25 celcius in the coldest area, and 32 in the warmest. There's is an exo-terra hide in the warm area/under the lamp and several branches (including hollow ones) on the rest of the enclosure. Oh and the substrate is about and inch of eco earth (which will be swapped to paper towels/tile when he grows bigger and out of the vivairum).

Okay, that said: he comes from a reptile specialized store that keeps everything extremely warm - they heat up the room temperature to a good 26 or so degrees, and then provide (not measured) every enclosure with heat lamps, so that he was very very very warm and cosy in there. He was also in a smaller vivarium than mine and had 3 siblings in there with him.

So my question/concern is: He basically doesn't move from under the warm side hide (the exo-terra one). I've tried upping the temperatures a notch, since I know hatchlings like it HOT, but still no dice.

Since he already ate (adult mouse) for me, I have handled him and he is very inquisitive, constantly darting his tongue back and forth. I don't know if this is normal or not, but he has not shown an ounce of aggression at all.

So what do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to goodwin1234

If he likes it hot then he likes it hot. Turn the temps up a few degrees, see if he changes behaviour.

Having said that, he could still be settling in. Might just be worth leaving him alone for a bit and worry about the temps later on. If he's eating then that's a good sign that he's fairly comfortable in his new home.

Old 13-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Super Citizen

Does he not have an alternative hide in the cooler end? If not, try adding one.

Many snakes kept in larger enclosures (you say he looks like a worm in his) feel exposed, so they will use the hide available and be too warm, rather than feel exposed. Try an alternative hide in the cooler area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophioussa View Post
Does he not have an alternative hide in the cooler end? If not, try adding one.

Many snakes kept in larger enclosures (you say he looks like a worm in his) feel exposed, so they will use the hide available and be too warm, rather than feel exposed. Try an alternative hide in the cooler area.
Well, like I said, there is a hollow branch (he can hide inside it) going through the cold area, as well as a generally big amount of branches he could use. (The enclosure at the reptile store didn't really have any proper hide, besides branches) but I will add a 'cave' to the cold side as well.

Thanks.

Tags
burmese , warm