Reptile Forums banner

Mould and flies???

523 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  salad dodger 
#1 ·
Ok, so I got my CRB last night and her RUB is nice and humid, she is at around 80%. I noticed a dead fly in the water bowl this morning and one hovering around, and I know for a fact they didn't get in from my room as we haven't had flying flies in here for a while (wingless fruit flies for the mantids only, and it wasn't one of them!)

Also, the bamboo canes I used were for flowers outdoors, so you would imagine they could withstand damp conditions, but they are all developing little green spots of mould and this setup is about 4 days old?!

Ok so steps to take to make sure A, the substrate and the moss don't have flies in them, and B, to avoid mould?
I'm using sphagnum moss and orchid bark.

#3 ·
from setting up frog tanks & the like , ive found a lot of natural materials fur up initially but it soon settles itself out .
how long was the set up running prior to adding the snake ?

#4 ·
Since saturday and snake was added yesterday. Mould has only flaired up today as far as I have noticed, I may take a trip to wilkos and switch to plastic canes as mentioned in the post above :) good idea I think!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.