Little and often? Large and Less? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 19-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Little and often? Large and Less?

Hi all

In another thread a topic was raised as to whether, for maximum/rapid growth in babies and adults, its better to feed larger prey items weekly, or smaller prey items every few days.This, I am aiming at boids.

I really dont know the science behind it, but I would like to encourage growth without powerfeeding and causing obesity.

For me, a reasonably sized meal weekly seems to work good in jouveniles, and babies little and often.
What are your views on this?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Forum Citizen

With my little spider female who I am trying to grow up I feed her a decent meal every 5 days nothing too big or small just somthing to leave a decent bump and she seems to be growing at a nice pace and looks very healthy. also keep in mind that they should poo more when feeding more often, I think its important to make sure they are pooing regularly so not to cause any problems with impaction.
ConstrictorsCymru likes this.
Old 19-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 2

boids shouldn't grow rapidly, so neither.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeblaster View Post
Okay then, but in your personal experience for healthy growth development, what do you think.

With my retics I feed a reasonably sized rat leaving a nice big lump, and its gone with in 2 days, I resist feeding them any sooner as theyre so food orientated. I feed weekly.

Point of this thread was to see what works for other people, especially those who want their animals ready for breeding season etc. I did say not powerfeeding in the first post
Old 19-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeblaster View Post
I'd agree for Bcc and Bci but what are the problems for royals or burms?
Old 19-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu.G View Post
I'd agree for Bcc and Bci but what are the problems for royals or burms?
And retics.....this is where i notice the lump go fast. My burms would have a massive rabbit every 3 or 4 weeks.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Forum Citizen

most boids and pythons have such a slow motabalism, im sure i have read somewhere about this sort of thing, i think i read that the more often you feed a large snake, the less time they have to digest and process the prey and could not get vital nutrients, as the snake would have to 'rush' the digestion and excretion.

im not 100% up on the science but im certain i read an article along these lines.

going off this line, i would feed large and less, for my royals eating a rat weaner, they get fed every 7 days, then on small rats, every 10 days, and medium/large rats every 14 days.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKing View Post
most boids and pythons have such a slow motabalism, im sure i have read somewhere about this sort of thing, i think i read that the more often you feed a large snake, the less time they have to digest and process the prey and could not get vital nutrients, as the snake would have to 'rush' the digestion and excretion.

im not 100% up on the science but im certain i read an article along these lines.

going off this line, i would feed large and less, for my royals eating a rat weaner, they get fed every 7 days, then on small rats, every 10 days, and medium/large rats every 14 days.
This was sort of answer i was looking for, this is pretty much the same way i do it!
Old 19-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Forum Citizen

for some reason i find that i can feed a royal on a rat weaner, and if it doesnt feed for some long period of time e.g. 4 weeks, the poo can be smaller, drier and have traces of hair, where as a royal that feeds regularly every 7 days can have larger, softer and no traces of hair (from the rats) in their poo.

from what i can recall at this minute.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKing View Post
for some reason i find that i can feed a royal on a rat weaner, and if it doesnt feed for some long period of time e.g. 4 weeks, the poo can be smaller, drier and have traces of hair, where as a royal that feeds regularly every 7 days can have larger, softer and no traces of hair (from the rats) in their poo.

from what i can recall at this minute.
Strange, this could be something to do with metabolism.
I really dont know

Tags
feedin , how much , rats