snakes in rented property - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 19-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Super Citizen
Default snakes in rented property

so basically i thought id see what people on here thought to this. basically i live in rented accomidation and until now thought nothing of having a snake and some small rodents as pets in this house until the other day that is.

basically something happened to do with our roof which made me look at my tenancy agreement this states that no pets should be kept without prior permission. now i was wondering is this more of a clause that is put in for pets such as cats or dogs that can do damage to the house or am i likely to get in trouble if my landlord finds out?

anyone who has got any input it is more than welcome and as for what was planning to be a growing family of reptiles ive put that on hold right now until i know where i stand.

thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Super Regular

I think its generally animals that are not in cages/tanks etc. My landlord has it in my contract but it was a standard contract that always includes this so he told me it was fine to keep my dogs and snakes and he wrote it on the contract that he had said so
1.1 Boa ~ Jasper and Alice
Old 19-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSnake77 View Post
I think its generally animals that are not in cages/tanks etc. My landlord has it in my contract but it was a standard contract that always includes this so he told me it was fine to keep my dogs and snakes and he wrote it on the contract that he had said so

yeah see this is what i was hoping but it looks like you have got prior permission from your landlord which i cant say i have this is where the worry comes in. i mean do i risk asking him now and him saying no because then i would be left in an even more awkward situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Citizen

It depends what it actually says. If it says any pets then that is strictly speaking any pets however it depends on the landlord as most are mainly concerned about cats and dogs. Having said that my last landlord wasnt happy about the snakes and lizards but they were ok with the cats...

You could ask permission now but then you get into issues if they say no.

Landlords

Old 19-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Forum Citizen

I think it depends greatly on your situation. I am lucky as i am in rented accomodation also but the landlord really couldnt give a crap what pets i have aslong as i pay for any damage that may happen. but the flat I was in before was a stricly no pets allowed dealio, however I took the risk of keeping 2 royals and a beardie there for 2 years with no worries. like you said its not like they are going to chew the carpet and furniture up like a dog would. if you think you can get away with it do it i say
Old 19-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Super Citizen

yeah see this is it then i get into the even more sticky predicament that there is only one left of the most B E A utifull little hognoses i have ever seen. do i dare just keep quiet and treat myself to this little beauty?
Old 19-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Premier Citizen

Heya,

If it says no pets without permission then legaly it means just that.
Personaly i would contact the landlord, bring up this clause and ask if you can have permission to keep "tanked pets" i always say tanked pets rather than snakes as some people hqve issues when they hear the word snake, but aslong as your written permission states pets kept in tanks are acceptable then your all clear.

Personaly iv lived in 5 differnt rented places with mine i always check the contract and ask and have had different reactions, but i make sure to point out that tanked animals dont cause any of the damage or noise a cat or dog does..
Fortunatly my current landlord is lovely and totaly fine with any small animals aslong as i dont have a cat or dog so agreed to not include a no animal clause in my contract.

I always find honesty works best!
jrcash4321 and Tav83 like this.

Last edited by naz_pixie; 19-04-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Old 19-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by herptek View Post
yeah see this is it then i get into the even more sticky predicament that there is only one left of the most B E A utifull little hognoses i have ever seen. do i dare just keep quiet and treat myself to this little beauty?
yes you do and if the landlord pops round for a cuppa which lets face it aint going to happen, you just chuck a sheet over the snakeys viv/rub and no one is the wiser. and if he/she lifts the sheet and your plan is foiled you say "ah yeh i am just looking after it for a friend thats gone on holiday" easy peesy
1b3 likes this.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by herptek View Post
Yes go for it!

I've just signed a contract for my flat i rent and it states no pets on the contract, but they cannot do anything about you keeping reptiles unless it specifys NO! reptiles/exotics or so i've been told anyway. Hope this helps dude.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Citizen

obviously though the thing is i already have one snake and gerbils and hamsters and this hadnt been a problem at all untill obviously i noticed this the other day.

if i hadnt of had to look at my agreement i wouldnt have even thought twice about it.

i guess what im kinda now thinking is if i do get this hognose and it suddenly is an issue im in no worse of a situation compared to if i have what i have already and it becomes an issue surely?