Reptile Forums banner

Can I See Your Amazon Tree Boas?

9K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  xDEADFAMOUSx 
#1 ·
As tht title reads, all phase welcome :)

Reactions: Roseanna
#2 ·
Also does anyone know any good books on this species?

#3 ·
I dont have an ATB but im gunna be watching this thread too as i want to start doing some research on them :) im hoping to add one to my family with in the next yr

#4 ·
Iv just added one to mine. Gorgeous little things!!

#5 ·
yeh i saw your post earlier :) they def are beautiful i worked with the ones at college but im yet to have my own :)

#6 ·
#7 ·
My adult breeding pair - first the male:

Then the female:

Tree Boa spaghetti! :2thumb:

The babies growing on...

No matter how many twigs and branches you give them, there will always be some that like to curl up on the substrate...

A young male I brought home from the last ERAC show... he's hopefully destined to get a LOT of action from the females I've held back as they get older... it's a hard life being a stud... lucky guy!

Regards,
Francis

#8 ·
My adult breeding pair - first the male:

Then the female:

Tree Boa spaghetti! :2thumb:

The babies growing on...

No matter how many twigs and branches you give them, there will always be some that like to curl up on the substrate...

A young male I brought home from the last ERAC show... he's hopefully destined to get a LOT of action from the females I've held back as they get older... it's a hard life being a stud... lucky guy!

Regards,
Francis
Wow what a stunning group of snakes, i love how the babies eyes look too big for their heads :3

#10 ·
Some great looking snakes here! Anyone got any tameing these? Well not "taming" as such just to make them handleable...

#23 ·
I free handle all of my ATBs (as you can see in some of the pics) and they are all rather placid. The adult female is the only one that will occasionally strike, but there is usually no heart behind the strikes; either bluff strikes or "warning" mild nips and no deterrent at all.

Some of the younger animals will actually crane up from their perches and climb onto my hand when I put it near.

#13 ·
Mine is quite bitey/strikey how can can over come this?

#14 ·
dunoo tbh, there very heat orientated so it depends on how you act with them, some are just tame anyway but the ones that bite usually can be handled fine just with the right technique, slow and steady, never let it see your face as they have a tendacy to strike at the big hot blob. atb's at night are usually more switched on and more prone to biting

i think its down to ther individual snake as well mate maybe you just have a grump sod

Reactions: Llamekuf
#16 ·
Still wants to give me some kisses...

Also would you guys say she has a pink tinge?

Reactions: laurad
#18 ·
From the thread someone posted about earlier: I want one of these! Do ATBs change colour much when they age like GTPs do?

if you like ncie red atbs search for 'red hot atb' in google its line bred for ultimate redness! there literally on fire! id sell my little toe for one

no they dont, they will 'dull' down when they reach adulthood but they dont have a drastic colour change

#22 ·
in my experience.. gardens phase ATBs with any red or pink in them usually turn to brown. As babies their colour and patterning is definitely not set and they can change quite a lot as they mature. With patterns increasing or decreasing and colours either intensifying or fading. Most commonly the latter of both.
The parents do play a part in how a majority of the babies will look but you do still get a lot of surprises in every litter.

That black one is real and was one of those surprises, think there are a couple more examples out there. Someone in the states is trying to produce these but with ATB colour genetics its obviously difficult to get consistent results. I believe it might have come from one of the breeders of the 'red hot' animals, but its been a while since my ATB obsession so cant remember... google will remind me later :)
CPR imported some of the 'fire red' and 'candy cane' lines a few years back but they were well out of most keepers price range.. up there with the royal python pricing madness. Beautiful animals though.

Tom

#26 ·
Because they have a habit of stretching out to either investigate something or just climb onto it... cameras included. They seem curious for a snake, always crane over to look at a new object - especially lenses - and then either back off or climb aboard.

(They may also see their reflection in the lens?)

Otherwise, they tend to cock their heads back when disturbed in case they need to strike... although mine very rarely follow through.

#28 ·
Heres another :)

#29 ·
And i managed to handle her without getting tagged :)

#30 ·
Anyone got anymore?

#31 ·

how do you say no to that face :)

She is a tiny little thing really has a couple of scars from her previous life, but otherwise very healthy and full of ''vim and vigour'' (she NEVER stops tagging...ever!!) gotta love her though :lol2:

#34 ·
#35 ·
Thanks.
Unfortunately I don't own any of them any more. Had to sell them all a few years back due to circumstances beyond my control.
I'm based in London but they came from all over -
The orange one in the first pic is from the quite well known Dutch line.
A few came from a gentleman in Liverpool and the rest from London and surrounding area. Bred a few too.
Do miss them and they are an amazing species to own and breed. A lot of variation in personalities and behaviour.

Tom

#39 ·
#42 ·
some amazons

and some amazon basins lol

First pic looks like they are in the bottom of your wardrobe! Wouldn't fancy opening mine finding them looking at me :lol2: I would like an ATB so you using racks as I thought they were arboreal and first pic has no climbing stuff? Theres some beauties so do you sell?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.