Reptile Forums banner

Horse bedding

Tags
bedding
2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  AB's 
#1 ·
What out of all the horse bedding would be best for Burmese??

I dont really want to you aspen or orchid bark ... the high risk of mites i could do without:bash:

so... what best

#3 ·
Had to be one smart ass...lol:Na_Na_Na_Na:

Reactions: patterkillar
#5 ·
may try that

#7 ·
Its the reason i went to news paper ... iv had mite 3 times from aspen twice from orchid bark

#20 ·
I keep a good number of horses as well as reptiles and have tried a multitude of beddings from the equestrian sector. I've found quality tends to vary from bag to bag and dust can be a problem - even with the 'dust free' stuff I use for hypo allergenic horses!

What with bits of bedding becoming lodged in places they shouldn't at breeding time and feeding issues I've decided to stick to paper. I have noticed bugs being introduced with bedding, but not necessarily mites.

#22 ·
thank yous :2thumb:

#23 ·
I tried auboise as an alternative to aspen but found it got sticky when wet and got stuck all over the place with my larger snake (currently my carpet) so I shan't be using it when my burm's big. Like you OP I'm paranoid about getting mites but as mentioned you can freeze substrate. You can also bake it in the oven or microwave.

I shall probably be lazy and just use newspaper!

#24 ·
i use news paper but the floor space is just too big and in the end wold end up a crumpled mess...lol

i did the microwave before but found it didnt work

im gona try easi bed and see how i get on ... may try mega zorb too : victory:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.