No time for snakes??! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Lucy81's Avatar
Regular
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bolton, Lancashire
Posts: 61
Angry No time for snakes??!

I have just been browsing Preloved and noticed a lot of snake adverts on there are people rehoming due to having 'no time to spend on snake'. It's not even like these are adverts from people downsizing their collections...in which case you could understand time being an issue.

Now, maybe it's just me, but my three take up no time at all.

5-10mins every day checking temps, water and spot cleaning.
30-45mins once a week feeding...depending on how quickly they nom their two fluffs...there's always one that feels the need to constrict it for 20mins!!
Then about 30mins every fortnight doing a full clean out...which I tend to do on feeding day while they are out....so technically I don't need to count that!
Handling times as and when.

Seriously? People can't spare an hour a week?! It's a damn poor excuse in my view....what do you all think?

How much time a week do you spend on your snake/s?
__________________
Owned by:-

Corn Snakes CB11's

1.1 - Caramel 'Orlando' & Amelanistic 'Snap'
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2012, 05:37 PM
**louise**'s Avatar
Posting Deity
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Croydon, Surrey
Posts: 22,051
Default

Here we go again

Maybe it is an excuse but if they can't be bothered with them anymore then better they are selling them on to someone else rather than leaving them to rot in a filthy viv.

It's a shame that people are made to feel guilty about rehoming their animals. It seems no reason is good enough these days.
jav07, bbav, crazeemaz and 5 others like this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Lucy81's Avatar
Regular
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bolton, Lancashire
Posts: 61
Default

I think I would respect someone more for being honest and saying they'd lost interest or want a different pet now.

I do agree, it's better that they are rehomed than neglected.
Khonsu, Wilko and misstiggins like this.
__________________
Owned by:-

Corn Snakes CB11's

1.1 - Caramel 'Orlando' & Amelanistic 'Snap'
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2012, 05:44 PM
4lph4d0g's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,119
Default

I think i'm sick of seeing this thread being posted.

Who cares...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2012, 05:46 PM
**louise**'s Avatar
Posting Deity
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Croydon, Surrey
Posts: 22,051
Default

But would you? If you saw an ad on preloved and someone said they had lost interest, you wouldn't slate them for it? I don't see how that's any better than just saying they don't have time.

I've said it before, it's one of those things that really annoys me. No matter what reason people put, there is always someone who makes a thread about it calling them irresponsible, unfit to look after animals and a waste of space! Last time it was about someone who dared to say they were rehoming their snakes due to a baby on the way.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Adam Birchall's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Birmingham, West Midlands
Posts: 3,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy81 View Post
I have just been browsing Preloved and noticed a lot of snake adverts on there are people rehoming due to having 'no time to spend on snake'. It's not even like these are adverts from people downsizing their collections...in which case you could understand time being an issue.

Now, maybe it's just me, but my three take up no time at all.

5-10mins every day checking temps, water and spot cleaning.
30-45mins once a week feeding...depending on how quickly they nom their two fluffs...there's always one that feels the need to constrict it for 20mins!!
Then about 30mins every fortnight doing a full clean out...which I tend to do on feeding day while they are out....so technically I don't need to count that!
Handling times as and when.

Seriously? People can't spare an hour a week?! It's a damn poor excuse in my view....what do you all think?

How much time a week do you spend on your snake/s?
I spend probably about the same amount of time as you do with my snakes, which like you said doesn't add upto much over the course of a week, I'm guessing all these people who don't 'have time' to look after there snakes are just people who rushed into getting them for the wrong reasons and now they are lumbered with a pet they have no interest in and no longer want, it has nothing to do with time, either way they are better off rehomed with someone who does have time.
__________________
Irian Jaya Carpet Python
Caramel Coastal Carpet Python
Albino Burmese Python
Bredl's Python
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Lucy81's Avatar
Regular
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bolton, Lancashire
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lph4d0g View Post
I think i'm sick of seeing this thread being posted.

Who cares...
Sorry!! Blimey it was only an observation. I was actually wondering how much time people spend on their snakes also
__________________
Owned by:-

Corn Snakes CB11's

1.1 - Caramel 'Orlando' & Amelanistic 'Snap'
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2012, 05:51 PM
**louise**'s Avatar
Posting Deity
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Croydon, Surrey
Posts: 22,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Birchall View Post
I spend probably about the same amount of time as you do with my snakes, which like you said doesn't add upto much over the course of a week, I'm guessing all these people who don't 'have time' to look after there snakes are just people who rushed into getting them for the wrong reasons and now they are lumbered with a pet they have no interest in and no longer want, it has nothing to do with time, either way they are better off rehomed with someone who does have time.
Family life can change, working hours can change, home commitments can change, people fall ill, need to visit/stay in hospital. There are many reasons people may no longer have time for their pets. I have been there myself and you know what, people shouldn't be so quick to judge others by their own standards..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Adam Birchall's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Birmingham, West Midlands
Posts: 3,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by **louise** View Post
Family life can change, working hours can change, home commitments can change, people fall ill, need to visit/stay in hospital. There are many reasons people may no longer have time for their pets. I have been there myself and you know what, people shouldn't be so quick to judge others by their own standards..
Could you come down from your high horse, I'm struggling to hear you from up there.
__________________
Irian Jaya Carpet Python
Caramel Coastal Carpet Python
Albino Burmese Python
Bredl's Python
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Herts
Posts: 1,280
Default

Better to get rid of a snake you can't care for than keep it and let it suffer.
__________________
ON HIATUS...busy sorting things out...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What time do your snakes come out 4lph4d0g Snakes 11 11-02-2012 12:28 PM
best time to see grass snakes mattsdragons Snakes 8 06-06-2010 12:28 PM
First time with big snakes lol Kat91 Snake Pictures 125 02-06-2010 01:10 PM
There are too many snakes already ,in five years time ????? Graylord General Herp Chat 23 20-02-2010 01:53 PM
angry snakes big time!!!!! carisma02uk Snakes 8 03-08-2007 07:31 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:39 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)