hatchlings died? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 24-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default royals

this is the right reason to cut the egg slit larger to make sure they are not being strangled by umbilicle cord etc. sometimes they are weakened by the effort to slit the egg that they do not have the strength to get out and die. must say though strange for all three to be weekened and die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to PythonPaul

for all 3 to die, i agree with incubator malfunction, poss power cut during the night, power surge, overheating or stat failure something like that
Old 24-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to bigal1982

What was it that caused the death of the father? Could something be passed on perhaps? What were the parents?
spinnin_tom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-2012, 06:51 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Oh How Original

Bit weird how all 3 died, then again the Spider gene can seriously mess snakes up, but I'd have to agree and say some kind of incubator malfunction.

Member number: 49,175
Old 24-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Ultra Citizen

was the incubation box or rub ventilated or sealed?
Old 24-06-2012, 07:35 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoroyal
this is the right reason to cut the egg slit larger to make sure they are not being strangled by umbilicle cord etc. sometimes they are weakened by the effort to slit the egg that they do not have the strength to get out and die. must say though strange for all three to be weekened and die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoroyal View Post
was the incubation box or rub ventilated or sealed?
None of this really matters.

What I bet happend was the snakes got spooked because they were being checked on. They ducked back into the eggs and drowned This happens a lot especially with reptiles that are head shy. Thats why it is best to either leave them alone until they are all the way out of the egg or to rip the egg open wider so the hatchling can not drown in the egg.

When eggs are left to pip and hatch on their own the yolk is absorbed and the umbilical cord shrinks. Even if it is wrapped around the hatchling it causes no damage. The only time it becomes an issue is when the eggs are messed with a cut open prematurely.

Where would be plenty of oxygen for the hatchlings in an air tight container.

Also, if the slit in the egg is big enough for the head to fit out of, it will not be small enough to suffocate the snake or to cut off any blood or air flow.
Demonique, storm, tanyau and 1 others like this.

Suspension Incubation containers www.squamataconcepts.com
Old 24-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Citizen

it was bumble bee to normal pairing i dunno why the father died but was a good hit on the genetics 4 eggs 3 out of the 4 were bumble bees and 1 spider it was all vented alright though i think
Old 24-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlecoKing View Post
Im gutted I just hatched 2 bumblebees and a spider yesterday - theey piped and just stuck their heads out as they do

I left them in the incubator over night and all 3 are dead today

are you ment to take them out of the incubator as soon as they pip?

gutted
I'm sorry but when you have had 2 months in which to learn all about hatchling's pipping etc, there is no way you should be asking such a stupid question. I wonder what hope the hatchling's would have had if they had surrived from the egg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdougle View Post
its just sad cause we were hoping for bumble bee's as the father to the clutch died after breeding so any bumble bee's were gonna be hold backs
When a death is unexpected you should have had a PM done as you were expecting babies from him and his partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal1982 View Post
What was it that caused the death of the father? Could something be passed on perhaps? What were the parents?
Well spotted and a very important point to raise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M View Post
None of this really matters.

What I bet happend was the snakes got spooked because they were being checked on. They ducked back into the eggs and drowned This happens a lot especially with reptiles that are head shy. Thats why it is best to either leave them alone until they are all the way out of the egg or to rip the egg open wider so the hatchling can not drown in the egg.

When eggs are left to pip and hatch on their own the yolk is absorbed and the umbilical cord shrinks. Even if it is wrapped around the hatchling it causes no damage. The only time it becomes an issue is when the eggs are messed with a cut open prematurely.

Where would be plenty of oxygen for the hatchlings in an air tight container.

Also, if the slit in the egg is big enough for the head to fit out of, it will not be small enough to suffocate the snake or to cut off any blood or air flow.
Excellent reply. Thank heavens for the virtual voice of someone that is very experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdougle View Post
it was bumble bee to normal pairing i dunno why the father died but was a good hit on the genetics 4 eggs 3 out of the 4 were bumble bees and 1 spider it was all vented alright though i think
What happened to the forth baby. You make no mention here?
Old 24-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyau View Post
I'm sorry but when you have had 2 months in which to learn all about hatchling's pipping etc, there is no way you should be asking such a stupid question. I wonder what hope the hatchling's would have had if they had surrived from the egg?

When a death is unexpected you should have had a PM done as you were expecting babies from him and his partner.

Excellent reply. Thank heavens for the virtual voice of someone that is very experienced.

lol I wondered when the slagging would start as always someones got to start putting people down!

it was a genuine question to a problem that no one on here can put their finger on!!
if you cant add positive suggestions plz dont soil the thred with pointless input -
camo, gingersnap, L3_UKK and 5 others like this.
0.6 Dinkers
Geckos1.0 Blizzard 0.1 Albino 0.1 Chocolate tremper 0.1 Sun Glow 0.2 super Hypo 0.1 Macksnow
0.1 Normal high yellow
Old 24-06-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyau View Post

wow...some people on here think they are super cool........