Snake thrashing his tail about. IBD??? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 28-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Hatchling
Send a message via MSN to Svee
Default Snake thrashing his tail about. IBD???

Hi all. Long time no post
We are gonna take this fella to the vet asap but i thought i would ask here anyways. Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour in a snake before???
Snake with IBD? - YouTube
I thought it might be IBD but he only seems to do the corkscrewing thing with his back half. His head he keeps rubbing against stuff rather than flipping it upside down etc. He recently had a bad spell of mites which he seems to have been free of for over a month now but he is now displaying this weird thrashing about behaviour. He is still eating and striking no problem. Not at all aggressive. Temps are fine etc.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svee View Post
Hi all. Long time no post
We are gonna take this fella to the vet asap but i thought i would ask here anyways. Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour in a snake before???
Snake with IBD? - YouTube
I thought it might be IBD but he only seems to do the corkscrewing thing with his back half. His head he keeps rubbing against stuff rather than flipping it upside down etc. He recently had a bad spell of mites which he seems to have been free of for over a month now but he is now displaying this weird thrashing about behaviour. He is still eating and striking no problem. Not at all aggressive. Temps are fine etc.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Do you happen to have a female aswell?
Old 28-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Hatchling

We do yes. There is a female BRB in the viv under him and another two female common boas over the other side of the room (out of sight though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svee View Post
We do yes. There is a female BRB in the viv under him and another two female common boas over the other side of the room (out of sight though)
Your welcome to go to the vets and have them double check, however it is of my opinion that one or more of your females is producing pheromones which this male boa is picking up on ( noticed very constantly tongue flickering in the video) and thus is becoming sexually active. Some snakes do not do anything unless a female is actually present in the enclosure, however this is not always the case, it has even been documented for a male to mate with another male when he can pick up on a females pheromones.

I would say he is trying to mate with something that is simply not there.

Regards
Old 28-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Hatchling

lol poor fella.
Thanks. I hope its just that. We did try and mate him with one of the females over the other side of the room earlier this year but alas it was unsuccessful.
Thanks again mate, really appreciate the help.
Old 28-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

i would say he has an irritation, keep an eye out for mites again, use a damp piece of kitchen roll and rub his body with it to check ,They do tend to make come backs if not treated two or three times.
Old 28-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Gold Star Member

my big male boa is tail flicking alot at the minute, he has just met our big girl and seems very interested in her.
looks very similar to what you see in your video so I wouldnt be too worried, but atleast vet can put your mind at rest.

I just caught my male scratching the female
Old 28-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Premier Citizen

while that may sound similar to IBD on the face of it

from what i have seen is IBD is more uncontrolled as it is more on the neurological side of things by that point

he knows what he is up to in my opinion
lycanlord20 likes this.
Old 28-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 8

Funnily enough I noticed my Boa doing that this week, firstly I had her out on my bed and she was kind of swaying her tail, like leos do before they pounce on the locust, and yesterday I got her out to change her substrate and she was doing it again, nowhere near as evident as yours, but there was a definite 'wagging' of the tail. Any ideas what it could be in a female boa? No mites, they've all just been treated anyway but she was unaffected. I thought it was a sign of agitation but this hasn't been mentioned.
Setting up an arboreal vivarium with pictures
PM me and i'll help if I can
Old 28-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstypical View Post
Funnily enough I noticed my Boa doing that this week, firstly I had her out on my bed and she was kind of swaying her tail, like leos do before they pounce on the locust, and yesterday I got her out to change her substrate and she was doing it again, nowhere near as evident as yours, but there was a definite 'wagging' of the tail. Any ideas what it could be in a female boa? No mites, they've all just been treated anyway but she was unaffected. I thought it was a sign of agitation but this hasn't been mentioned.

Do you have a male? lol

My royal did this when i put the male in with her, like she was saying "wooohooo vents this end"

Destinys_only_sin is the most amazingly amazing person ever.

Tags
snake boa ibd