Grass snakes? - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 15-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSky View Post
leave it in the wild.... get a garter snake there's plenty of CB ones around.
Bit hypocritical, where do you think the first captive bred garter snakes come from and all your captive bred snakes come to that. If the same had been said about axolotls they would now be extinct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigsby View Post
Bit hypocritical, where do you think the first captive bred garter snakes come from and all your captive bred snakes come to that. If the same had been said about axolotls they would now be extinct.
To be honest I agree with him. It's best to leave it in the wild unless to do so would seriously threaten the species. Of course all species that are now kept in captivity were only found in the wild, but the concept is sound, get snakes from CB whenever possible and let nature do its own thing. Me personally I wouldn't ever want stock which has been WC unless of course it was in imminent danger as a species but then I'd want a super guru snake breeder to take them on to maximise the species chances of survival.
Old 15-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalky76 View Post
To be honest I agree with him. It's best to leave it in the wild unless to do so would seriously threaten the species. Of course all species that are now kept in captivity were only found in the wild, but the concept is sound, get snakes from CB whenever possible and let nature do its own thing. Me personally I wouldn't ever want stock which has been WC unless of course it was in imminent danger as a species but then I'd want a super guru snake breeder to take them on to maximise the species chances of survival.
*agree with HER

its more the fact that the op isnt very experienced, i can see the thing dying, its best off left in the wild where it has at least some chance.
and i know that all captive snakes came from wild caught, but why keep doing it when we now have captive bred so readily available.
we cant all have every snake that we want, op you need to just say yes they are beautiful and i'd love one, but its best off left where it is.

Old 15-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Citizen

you can catch them and keep them, when it comes to switching them to mice rats its difficult when having to scent everything, but what alot of people dont know is if you breed them for 3 generations its then classed as captive bred and can be sold as such! who ever said its hard to find a six ft grass snake? true biggest one i ever saw was 4.5ft but i thought that was pretty impressive and would have been more than capable of swallowing a rat wiener but also on my dads field i've never seen them like it anywhere els the grass snakes have a flame orange collar like the european grass snake rather than the standard white collar brittish species
Old 15-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Super Citizen

just thought i'd add this is one i caught last year at newton ferrers while working in a garden took him home to get a pic then released im in the same place 2 weeks later when i was back on that job

oh and this is a video of a release on my dads field he was given a grass snake in the summer quite a big female and she had been stabbed suposedly by accident when some one was sorting there compost heap but she wouldn't have survived hibranation so my dad kept her awake and feeding over winter sure enough the following spring she laid 12 eggs of which 11 hatched but one had a kinked spine so he kept that one but the other 10 were all releases on the field
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqpn_...3&feature=plcp

Last edited by mcdougle; 15-07-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Old 15-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to NickBenger Send a message via Yahoo to NickBenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdougle View Post
you can catch them and keep them, when it comes to switching them to mice rats its difficult when having to scent everything, but what alot of people dont know is if you breed them for 3 generations its then classed as captive bred and can be sold as such! who ever said its hard to find a six ft grass snake? true biggest one i ever saw was 4.5ft but i thought that was pretty impressive and would have been more than capable of swallowing a rat wiener but also on my dads field i've never seen them like it anywhere els the grass snakes have a flame orange collar like the european grass snake rather than the standard white collar brittish species
It probably was the european species they have been found it this country as well as the native N.n.helvetica
Old 15-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBenger View Post
It probably was the european species they have been found it this country as well as the native N.n.helvetica
yh this is a pic i just googled but is what the ones on the field look like you can see the difference in comparison to the native one in my pic

Old 15-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Super Citizen

N.n. helvetica collars are very variable, I've found them white,cream,yellow,orange and sometimes absent-especially in older females.
PESKY likes this.
Old 15-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Premier Member

I absolutely adore Grass snakes, would love some here too but would rather go with CB personally. There are people out there breeding them, it's hard to prove an animal is (or isn't, I suppose) CB though so might be difficult getting hold of them.

Old 15-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdougle View Post
if you double check as long as they are captive bred you can sell them after just the one generation, as long as the female wasn't gravid when you caught her, all hard to prove tho.

Tags
snake