Grass snakes? - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #21 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: north Yorkshire
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSky View Post
leave it in the wild.... get a garter snake there's plenty of CB ones around.
Bit hypocritical, where do you think the first captive bred garter snakes come from and all your captive bred snakes come to that. If the same had been said about axolotls they would now be extinct.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gatwick
Posts: 2,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigsby View Post
Bit hypocritical, where do you think the first captive bred garter snakes come from and all your captive bred snakes come to that. If the same had been said about axolotls they would now be extinct.
To be honest I agree with him. It's best to leave it in the wild unless to do so would seriously threaten the species. Of course all species that are now kept in captivity were only found in the wild, but the concept is sound, get snakes from CB whenever possible and let nature do its own thing. Me personally I wouldn't ever want stock which has been WC unless of course it was in imminent danger as a species but then I'd want a super guru snake breeder to take them on to maximise the species chances of survival.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2012, 11:07 AM
SilverSky's Avatar
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somerset
Posts: 5,681
Reviews: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalky76 View Post
To be honest I agree with him. It's best to leave it in the wild unless to do so would seriously threaten the species. Of course all species that are now kept in captivity were only found in the wild, but the concept is sound, get snakes from CB whenever possible and let nature do its own thing. Me personally I wouldn't ever want stock which has been WC unless of course it was in imminent danger as a species but then I'd want a super guru snake breeder to take them on to maximise the species chances of survival.
*agree with HER


its more the fact that the op isnt very experienced, i can see the thing dying, its best off left in the wild where it has at least some chance.
and i know that all captive snakes came from wild caught, but why keep doing it when we now have captive bred so readily available.
we cant all have every snake that we want, op you need to just say yes they are beautiful and i'd love one, but its best off left where it is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2012, 12:36 PM
mcdougle's Avatar
Super Citizen
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 898
Default

you can catch them and keep them, when it comes to switching them to mice rats its difficult when having to scent everything, but what alot of people dont know is if you breed them for 3 generations its then classed as captive bred and can be sold as such! who ever said its hard to find a six ft grass snake? true biggest one i ever saw was 4.5ft but i thought that was pretty impressive and would have been more than capable of swallowing a rat wiener but also on my dads field i've never seen them like it anywhere els the grass snakes have a flame orange collar like the european grass snake rather than the standard white collar brittish species
__________________
Get to the choppaaaa!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2012, 12:43 PM
mcdougle's Avatar
Super Citizen
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 898
Default

just thought i'd add this is one i caught last year at newton ferrers while working in a garden took him home to get a pic then released im in the same place 2 weeks later when i was back on that job




oh and this is a video of a release on my dads field he was given a grass snake in the summer quite a big female and she had been stabbed suposedly by accident when some one was sorting there compost heap but she wouldn't have survived hibranation so my dad kept her awake and feeding over winter sure enough the following spring she laid 12 eggs of which 11 hatched but one had a kinked spine so he kept that one but the other 10 were all releases on the field
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqpn_...3&feature=plcp
__________________
Get to the choppaaaa!!!!!!

Last edited by mcdougle; 15-07-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2012, 12:49 PM
NickBenger's Avatar
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Near Bristol, SW England
Posts: 5,213
Send a message via MSN to NickBenger Send a message via Yahoo to NickBenger
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdougle View Post
you can catch them and keep them, when it comes to switching them to mice rats its difficult when having to scent everything, but what alot of people dont know is if you breed them for 3 generations its then classed as captive bred and can be sold as such! who ever said its hard to find a six ft grass snake? true biggest one i ever saw was 4.5ft but i thought that was pretty impressive and would have been more than capable of swallowing a rat wiener but also on my dads field i've never seen them like it anywhere els the grass snakes have a flame orange collar like the european grass snake rather than the standard white collar brittish species
It probably was the european species they have been found it this country as well as the native N.n.helvetica
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2012, 01:05 PM
mcdougle's Avatar
Super Citizen
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBenger View Post
It probably was the european species they have been found it this country as well as the native N.n.helvetica
yh this is a pic i just googled but is what the ones on the field look like you can see the difference in comparison to the native one in my pic

__________________
Get to the choppaaaa!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Super Citizen
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 899
Default

N.n. helvetica collars are very variable, I've found them white,cream,yellow,orange and sometimes absent-especially in older females.
PESKY likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2012, 02:36 PM
KathyM's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 9,905
Default

I absolutely adore Grass snakes, would love some here too but would rather go with CB personally. There are people out there breeding them, it's hard to prove an animal is (or isn't, I suppose) CB though so might be difficult getting hold of them.
__________________
The artist formerly known as KathyM, wot is now Kathy A, but wot has to stick with KathyM so as not to confuse people


Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: north Yorkshire
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdougle View Post
you can catch them and keep them, when it comes to switching them to mice rats its difficult when having to scent everything, but what alot of people dont know is if you breed them for 3 generations its then classed as captive bred and can be sold as such! who ever said its hard to find a six ft grass snake? true biggest one i ever saw was 4.5ft but i thought that was pretty impressive and would have been more than capable of swallowing a rat wiener but also on my dads field i've never seen them like it anywhere els the grass snakes have a flame orange collar like the european grass snake rather than the standard white collar brittish species
if you double check as long as they are captive bred you can sell them after just the one generation, as long as the female wasn't gravid when you caught her, all hard to prove tho.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
snake

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grass snakes kettykev Wildlife 5 29-03-2012 06:21 PM
Grass Snakes Natalie09 Snakes 23 22-04-2009 09:22 PM
Grass Snakes DolphinPython Snakes 4 10-12-2008 09:13 AM
Grass snakes 400runner Snake Pictures 17 10-07-2008 08:44 AM
grass snakes Trice Snakes 9 28-10-2006 01:25 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)