Four-Lined Snake - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 14-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to SwampK
Default Four-Lined Snake

does anybody keep Four Lined Snakes, (Elaphe quatuorlineata)? I'm interested in the species, and wondering what sized viv would be needed, what sort of environment, and any special requirements they might have.
Also, are there different colour varieties/morphs available?
Any Pics would be nice too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Premier Member

one of my early large rat experiences was with four lines, they are just awesome snakes, i still remember them fondly after all these years, their big friendly giants they do well in large dry caging, its hard to go too large for adult fourlines caging wise, but minimum 4x2x2 for a pair ideally 5x2x2, their very fond of climbing and lazy basking so an elevated shelf and or branch system is great for them, substrate can be anything, paper aspen etc, u should look at at thrasops thread here http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ake-walls.html he seems to have a real touch for this kind of species, european rocky, warm n dry species, so his cage designs are ideal for fourlines, if i remember correctly i had one that had a thing for hamsters , just remember they do get quite large and chunky, but are generally very placid animals if raised with care and kindness, their quite bright i think as well, they have one of the most beautiful faces of all the rats i think.

rgds
ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampK View Post
does anybody keep Four Lined Snakes, (Elaphe quatuorlineata)? I'm interested in the species, and wondering what sized viv would be needed, what sort of environment, and any special requirements they might have.
Also, are there different colour varieties/morphs available?
Any Pics would be nice too.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 14-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxocemus View Post
one of my early large rat experiences was with four lines, they are just awesome snakes, i still remember them fondly after all these years, their big friendly giants they do well in large dry caging, its hard to go too large for adult fourlines caging wise, but minimum 4x2x2 for a pair ideally 5x2x2, their very fond of climbing and lazy basking so an elevated shelf and or branch system is great for them, substrate can be anything, paper aspen etc, u should look at at thrasops thread here http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ake-walls.html he seems to have a real touch for this kind of species, european rocky, warm n dry species, so his cage designs are ideal for fourlines, if i remember correctly i had one that had a thing for hamsters , just remember they do get quite large and chunky, but are generally very placid animals if raised with care and kindness, their quite bright i think as well, they have one of the most beautiful faces of all the rats i think.

rgds
ed
so, just how big do they get then? Thanks for all the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Premier Member

id say the average for captives is 5ft, u can get some that dont go over 4ft for some reason, whether its a regional thing of the original stock or just a genetic thing peculiar to a few animals, then a few do get bigger, over 6ft but takes a while and u dont see them that size very often, a good healthy adult would be around a chunky 5ft by the time its 4 or 5 id say, also they have big bouncing babys, no fragile little worms for fourlines

rgds
ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampK View Post
so, just how big do they get then? Thanks for all the info!
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 19-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Forum Citizen

The Elaphe quatuorlineata muenteri is only half the size of the nominate species, but looks just like the nominate species regarding to colours and patterns.
Old 19-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
The Elaphe quatuorlineata muenteri is only half the size of the nominate species, but looks just like the nominate species regarding to colours and patterns.
oh, wow! How commonly available are they?

Tags
colubrid , snake