Burm Carrying Record 87 Eggs Slaughtered - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stihlfella View Post
I Suppose So Donno Why The U.S Didnt Do Anything About Them Years Ago

Would have been better to put it in a reptile house as Americas biggest snake, the public would have flocked!
This would be because the majority of the specimens only escaped in 2002 (I think; hurricane Michael?) and would have required years to pose any threat; the US government have set up teams to hunt the pythons for years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
If we're going to be killing invasive species, I would have thought humans would be the first to be culled. Not only do we inhabit as much as the earth as possible, but we're also sending other animals extinct and destroying the very planet we live on. Humans are also a large part of the reason exotic animals are found in "non-exotic" parts of the world, and the sole reason for the Burmese python problem in Florida.

That aside, "invasion" also happens naturally. If you go back in time to when continents started breaking up to form new countries and continents, animals from the original area were suddenly in very different climates and new companions. That's just nature, and it spurs further evolution to cope with the new setting. There are no strict guidelines on "you belong there, they belong here" in nature, that's a human thing. Animals just adapt.

Sure, the pythons are eating other animals, but we also need to give some thought to the fact that other, NATIVE species have also been killing other species, in "alarming" numbers. And more to the point, my pet cat has killed quite a large number of birds and mice. I would imagine if we tallied up the death toll of other animals as a result of cats, we would have quite a good case to begin killing the felines.
The reason you cite is why it's perfectly legal to cull feral cats in the UK, and why it's something I have no qualms about doing. If you're continuing down that track, then yes, song birds and other wildlife are severely affected by cats and I think it is not only irresponsible, but should also be illegal to allow them to roam loose.

I digress. Your assertion that Burms aren't the only predators killing native wildlife is actually an argument for their eradication and also illustrates why invasive species are so dangerous to the ecosystem. They out compete the existing fauna.

Keeping herps since 1992.
Rebuilding my collection after a couple of years out of the hobby.

Some people keep snakes. I keep Retics.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Citizen

typical americans, killing such a specimen, such a beautiful snake.
Stihlfella likes this.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27 View Post
Starting To Get Some Sensible People Commenting Now
Elisha Metcalf likes this.
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27 View Post
What would you propose they do with them all? Anthropomorphism aside, what's the rationale and strategy you'd propose? I'd be interested in the ecological background of anyone anti-culling or who thinks it's fine to leave invasive species where they are. Even Steve Irwin loved nothing better than a good wild / feral pig hunt with Suey and a knife/gun....

Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
The reason you cite is why it's perfectly legal to cull feral cats in the UK, and why it's something I have no qualms about doing. If you're continuing down that track, then yes, song birds and other wildlife are severely affected by cats and I think it is not only irresponsible, but should also be illegal to allow them to roam loose.

I digress. Your assertion that Burms aren't the only predators killing native wildlife is actually an argument for their eradication and also illustrates why invasive species are so dangerous to the ecosystem. They out compete the existing fauna.
I'm not really sure where i stand on the culling argument to be honest, i was just giving some perspective. I think it's sad but also see the point of view that it's necessary, so i'm quite neutral.

But, i do also maintain that sometimes that's just the way the world works. The planet today is vastly different from what it was ten million years ago. We didn't kill the dodo. We didn't put animals in new areas that happened as a result of natural incidents, like the movement of the land. My main point i'm trying to get it as that things change massively over the course of time, and the culling of an "invasive" species seems to be more due to "oh god, look, things are changing!". Animals kill each other. If it can be demonstrated that the impact of burms killing other animals is harmful on a greater level (i.e. not just to the ones its killing, but how low numbers of those can make a negative impact on the wider ecosystem or people, as would happen if bees went extinct) then I would be all for it. But i won't be all for it just because they're non-native and are killing things. That's just nature as far as i'm concerned. I would like to see some numbers into the deaths from burms compared to the deaths from native species too.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stihlfella View Post
Starting To Get Some Sensible People Commenting Now
Your idea of sensibility is interesting. I'll direct the question at you also: What's your rationale and strategy concerning invasive species and what's your current understanding of, and response to, their ecology and impact on an ecosystem?

Just asking since you're the sensible one.
Purple_D likes this.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
I'd be interested in the ecological background of anyone anti-culling or who thinks it's fine to leave invasive species where they are. Even Steve Irwin loved nothing better than a good wild / feral pig hunt with Suey and a knife/gun....
As i said in my original post here, that's very much a human concern, as though we own the world. If you consider that the world was once one piece of land and is now broken up, what constitutes native? An animal that was there for three human generations? An animal that has adapted to live there? Will the burmese python be 'native' to Florida in 20 years? Are they causing true devastation, or is it an anti-immigrant policy for animals?
marcel27 and Stihlfella like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
What would you propose they do with them all? Anthropomorphism aside, what's the rationale and strategy you'd propose? I'd be interested in the ecological background of anyone anti-culling or who thinks it's fine to leave invasive species where they are. Even Steve Irwin loved nothing better than a good wild / feral pig hunt with Suey and a knife/gun....
simple answer to that give them away to rep keepers in the uk or anywhere else, i'd rather them be in captivity than be ultimately slaughtered. i'd rather take the burm in rather than kill it.
Stihlfella likes this.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we do not have a culling policy for illegal immigrants and in my opinion it is on the same lines. I have no religious background at all, but why do we believe that we have the right to kill off animals?
Stihlfella likes this.