Burm Carrying Record 87 Eggs Slaughtered - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 11-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
Native tends to be measured in terms of millennia rather than decades... It's not so much about human policy as an ecosystem's lack of adaptation to the new threat, which throws the whole system out of balance - often catastrophically so, unfortunately.

Honest question, but are you a minor? I don't want to pull you up for naiveté only to find out you're under 16... There are more non-native wildlife specimens culled than there are bred for the entire pet trade! Just how many keepers do you think will be willing to take in a few hundred wild (read: parasitised and highly dangerous, aggressive) snakes? And the same next year? And the next?..... Clearly implausible.
I agree that they can't be given to the pet trade because there are too many. Then again, maybe they could round up what they find and dump them back in Burma

But on the ecosystem, it's humans who have driven numerous species to extinction or near extinction. There aren't animals in sanctuaries and zoos so they can breed because other animals have wiped them out AFAIA. There are about 7 billion people on the planet, and that number can't be sustained. From an objective point of view, the biggest benefit to ecosystems on a global level would be to cull the number of humans. And again, given that animals have always, since time began, found their way to new territories and the earth is still here and inhabitable, how much of a threat is it really? (And i ask that seriously, not facetiously.) Humans have been around for a tiny, tiny percentage of the earth's history and the history of many animals, including reptiles. Ecosystems and animals adapted to thrive. There are casualties for sure, but it's not bringing around the end of the world.
marcel27 and Stihlfella like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I didn't mock your opinions I asked you to back them up. Your response was to equate an accidentally-released large apex predator, bringing carnage to an ecosystem, to the genocide of people breaking the law?

Are you vegan? If not, why not?
and you believe people do not bring carnage to the ecosystem, have you been to britain at all, obviously not.
Stihlfella likes this.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
I agree that they can't be given to the pet trade because there are too many. Then again, maybe they could round up what they find and dump them back in Burma

But on the ecosystem, it's humans who have driven numerous species to extinction or near extinction. There aren't animals in sanctuaries and zoos so they can breed because other animals have wiped them out AFAIA. There are about 7 billion people on the planet, and that number can't be sustained. From an objective point of view, the biggest benefit to ecosystems on a global level would be to cull the number of humans. And again, given that animals have always, since time began, found their way to new territories and the earth is still here and inhabitable, how much of a threat is it really? (And i ask that seriously, not facetiously.) Humans have been around for a tiny, tiny percentage of the earth's history and the history of many animals, including reptiles. Ecosystems and animals adapted to thrive. There are casualties for sure, but it's not bringing around the end of the world.
Don't get me started on culling humans, I may get arrested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_D View Post
We as humans are trying in parts to put things right,sometimes.
if the burms are left to do as they will the native species of the glades will be no more.Just look at the cane toads in oz for a example.
But surely that's just nature? All animals are predators and prey, including burms in Florida, given that they're eaten by alligators.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_D View Post
For one it would not be usa biggest snake.
We as humans are trying in parts to put things right,sometimes.
if the burms are left to do as they will the native species of the glades will be no more.Just look at the cane toads in oz for a example.
Well The Biggest Snake In Florida Then Does That Still Not Count For Nothing ??
marcel27 likes this.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27 View Post
I'm pretty sure we do not have a culling policy for illegal immigrants and in my opinion it is on the same lines. I have no religious background at all, but why do we believe that we have the right to kill off animals?
What do you mean by illegal immigrants ? if you mean creatures like mink and signal crayfish then yes we (the UK) do have a culling policy !!! With both it's kill on sight, and illegal to release a trapped one back into the wild. I love all animals but I do believe, unfortunately, that at times it's necessary to implement a cull to try to restore a natural balance to our ecosystems.

Oh and if anyone is wondering I don't agree with the current cull that's going to happen on badgers in the UK, I think the information is flawed and inoculation would be better.
Stihlfella likes this.
0.0.1 Bosc monitor - Morris,
1 x 45g Freshie.

...and 1 verrrrry unhappy Wife.......
Old 11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
But surely that's just nature? All animals are predators and prey, including burms in Florida, given that they're eaten by alligators.
So cos of some accident part human, a non native species should be allowed to wipe out native species,Not the way i think sos.
We had it here years ago with mink,they devastated whole areas.
As for the culling of humans,does wars not do that,is that "natures" way
Old 11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Super Regular

That is an epic amount of eggs...
Also an amazing looking snake!
Stihlfella likes this.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Robinson View Post
That is an epic amount of eggs...
Also an amazing looking snake!
Shame The Yankees Killed It
Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish198 View Post
that at times it's necessary to implement a cull to try to restore a natural balance to our ecosystems.
A truly natural balance is one that is constantly in flux, because nothing, nature especially, stays the same. I have said a few times on here how ecosystems have changed since the dawn of time, and that includes animals that have found new territories before humans even existed. It's natural selection, it drives evolution and pushes things further along.

Quite frankly, and again objectively, anyone in favour of culling for the sake of an ecosystem should be signing a petition to cull people. Because there is not a shadow of a doubt that we are the most destructive force in the world. We kill endless animals, for trophies or clothes, people hunt for pleasure and to feel superior. We destroy rainforests and endless acres of land and build polluting factories instead. We kill more animals than animals do. Removing people would be the biggest benefit the world could imagine. Just think, we could not survive without animals and ecosystems, but without us, the planet would be in a far better state.
marcel27 and Stihlfella like this.