Regular
Default Burm Carrying Record 87 Eggs Slaughtered

I Found This Unbelievable What Does Everyone Els Think

Burmese python biggest snake found in America | The Sun |News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Premier Citizen

unbelievable as regards size and eggs.or cos it was culled.
If the later,to damm right to cull a invasive species roaming wild and breeding.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Premier Citizen

No way is that 17ft!

WANTED:
CB14 KSB
CB14 Royal Python
CB14 Corn Snake
CB14 Burm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Regular

Abit Of Both I Suppose 87 Eggs I Thort 18 Corn Eggs Were Anuff To Cope With

Concerning The Killing Of The Snake I Think Thats Wrong Not There Fault They End Up There Think They Should Be Deported Back To There Own Country After All We Deport All The Illegal Immigrants Back To Tho Own Countrys Just My Option
Old 11-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stihlfella View Post

Concerning The Killing Of The Snake I Think Thats Wrong Not There Fault They End Up There Think They Should Be Deported Back To There Own Country After All We Deport All The Illegal Immigrants Back To Tho Own Countrys Just My Option
I don't think removing an alien from one continent and placing them another is a very sensible idea at all - think of all the parasites they may carry for one reason.
Unless there was someone willing to take this 'vermin' (in this context) into their home then I think it was wise it was euthanised.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stihlfella View Post

But how do you suppose they just round them up and send them back?

As much as I don't like snakes being culled, sometimes it needs to be done. In this case it needs to be done for the sake of conservation. As purple_d said, they are an invasive species that will be having a negative affect on the area. It is not just for people's sake either.
KWIBEZEE likes this.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Regular

I Suppose So Donno Why The U.S Didnt Do Anything About Them Years Ago

Would have been better to put it in a reptile house as Americas biggest snake, the public would have flocked!

Last edited by Stihlfella; 11-10-2012 at 03:33 PM..
Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Premier Citizen

If we're going to be killing invasive species, I would have thought humans would be the first to be culled. Not only do we inhabit as much as the earth as possible, but we're also sending other animals extinct and destroying the very planet we live on. Humans are also a large part of the reason exotic animals are found in "non-exotic" parts of the world, and the sole reason for the Burmese python problem in Florida.

That aside, "invasion" also happens naturally. If you go back in time to when continents started breaking up to form new countries and continents, animals from the original area were suddenly in very different climates and new companions. That's just nature, and it spurs further evolution to cope with the new setting. There are no strict guidelines on "you belong there, they belong here" in nature, that's a human thing. Animals just adapt.

Sure, the pythons are eating other animals, but we also need to give some thought to the fact that other, NATIVE species have also been killing other species, in "alarming" numbers. And more to the point, my pet cat has killed quite a large number of birds and mice. I would imagine if we tallied up the death toll of other animals as a result of cats, we would have quite a good case to begin killing the felines.
pixieboy and Stihlfella like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Citizen

I'm pretty sure we had a thread on this a few days ago? At any rate, that's an impressive number of eggs. Shame, when here I am looking everywhere for a nice Burm atm...

I have no issue with culling an alien species like this. It's a shame but stuff happens, and there's a lot of indigenous wildlife needing taking care of. The sooner they hammer out the problem, the better. That said, I have a sneaking suspicion it's been left so long now, and the Everglades are so immense, that the damage is now irreversible. Shame really.

One also wonders about the timing of this 'discovery' given the recent legislative moves over the Pond...
KWIBEZEE and rachaelb like this.

Keeping herps since 1992.
Rebuilding my collection after a couple of years out of the hobby.

Some people keep snakes. I keep Retics.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
If we're going to be killing invasive species, I would have thought humans would be the first to be culled. Not only do we inhabit as much as the earth as possible, but we're also sending other animals extinct and destroying the very planet we live on. Humans are also a large part of the reason exotic animals are found in "non-exotic" parts of the world, and the sole reason for the Burmese python problem in Florida.

That aside, "invasion" also happens naturally. If you go back in time to when continents started breaking up to form new countries and continents, animals from the original area were suddenly in very different climates and new companions. That's just nature, and it spurs further evolution to cope with the new setting. There are no strict guidelines on "you belong there, they belong here" in nature, that's a human thing. Animals just adapt.

Sure, the pythons are eating other animals, but we also need to give some thought to the fact that other, NATIVE species have also been killing other species, in "alarming" numbers. And more to the point, my pet cat has killed quite a large number of birds and mice. I would imagine if we tallied up the death toll of other animals as a result of cats, we would have quite a good case to begin killing the felines.
In My Eye's You Couldn't Be More Right Thanks For The Input Mate
richwhite likes this.