ATB new viv - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 26-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick g View Post
I am sure you are correct, but please explain any how, surely if my ceramics have a cage guard around them and no stat what is the problem? how could they burn a snake with a guard around them, is that not the purpose of a guard?
Thermostat has nothing to do with burning your snake.. As you say, the guard prevents that.
If the ambient temps become to warm, eg. if the heating in the house is on or summer time, etc. the ceramics will continue to give out full heat no matter the surrounding temps as there is nothing controlling their output.

SO.. your ambient temp is 25c now, for example, if the temp in the room rises, so will it in the viv. With a stat, set to the right temperature, it will cut off the heater once it reaches the desired temperature.
No guard = burnt snake
No stat = cooked snake

Get a good thermostat, no excuse really, especially in a plastic viv..

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick g View Post
I am sure you are correct, but please explain any how, surely if my ceramics have a cage guard around them and no stat what is the problem? how could they burn a snake with a guard around them, is that not the purpose of a guard?
With out a stat keeping the temps level your ceramic could just go up and up past the level you need untill the whole viv becomes a sauna and just fries to snake. I reckon with out a stat my ceramic could reach over 40c easy if just left on
Old 26-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark View Post
Thermostat has nothing to do with burning your snake.. As you say, the guard prevents that.
If the ambient temps become to warm, eg. if the heating in the house is on or summer time, etc. the ceramics will continue to give out full heat no matter the surrounding temps as there is nothing controlling their output.

SO.. your ambient temp is 25c now, for example, if the temp in the room rises, so will it in the viv. With a stat, set to the right temperature, it will cut off the heater once it reaches the desired temperature.
No guard = burnt snake
No stat = cooked snake

Get a good thermostat, no excuse really, especially in a plastic viv..

Tom
Thanks Tom, at no point in this thread did i say i didn't have a stat, was just asking how not having a stat would burn a snake. Obviously i can understand how not having a stat could cook a snake.
stark likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleopatra the Royal View Post
I wouldn't be too cynical about the heat mat on the floor - whilst they are 'arboreal' snakes they do spend a lot of time on the ground, my male probably more so in a terrestrial hide than on one of his branches.

At the end of the day though, a ceramic or spot bulb would be ideally so much better to encourage the natural basking behaviour.
Not being cynical at all.
You can keep and I have kept and breed them in terrestrial racks... Just think its a waste of a talented snake.
I had 30+ Amazon adults and young for a good few years. Speaking from experience, personal observations and experiments I did with them and their care. I personally never saw my adults on the floor unless they were cruising, there was not a suitable perch/resting ledge or they had eaten a massive meal and there was a heat mat in the viv.
If you provide 2 hides, exactly same temperature, size, material, etc and put one on the floor and other up high, they will almost 100% choose the high one, in my experience.
But they are tough and forgiving snakes and will survive a lot.
Good luck.

Tom
Old 28-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Forum Citizen

I have now insulated the outside of the viv with polystyrene sheet. placed a heat strip on back of viv, with two ceramics and heat strip conected to the same stat. Its a pluse stat which is more than capable of running all 3 mats/ceramics. basking spot on perch under ceramics is 30c and in middle of viv between the 2 ceramics is 24c and floor is 21c. I am happy with this. Can anybody see any problems? Thanks in advance

a few photos
Old 28-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Premier Member

60 watt for a viv of that size is abit small IMO, 100 minimum but ideally a 150 with a stat.
Old 28-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Forum Citizen

Old 28-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Meaner View Post
60 watt for a viv of that size is abit small IMO, 100 minimum but ideally a 150 with a stat.
I have a 60watt each end of viv and temp on perch underneath is 30c. But do you suppose if i just had a 150watt ceramic i could do away with the 2x 60watt and if i done this, would it be better to have ceramic in middle or leave it just one end to create a bigger thermal gradient. Thanks
Old 28-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Forum Citizen

By the way does anyone know what viv this is. Seller said it was a Rhino viv but it doesnt look like ones i have seen before? Its 48"x18"x20" i roughly i think.
Old 28-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Premier Member

Doesn't look like a rhino, don't think they had sloped fronts. I'd only have 1 ceramic at one of the ends tbh, so's to create a hotspot.