New to the forum, just got my first snake :) - Page 7 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 17-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBLADE View Post
Every 5 days would be fine depending on how large the food is for her, then as she ages go up to once a week, then as adult can go to every 10 days.
Thanks a lot, I cant wait to see how she feeds..Also this may seem like a silly question but what does CB12 mean, googled it and no luck getting a definition.
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to NBLADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordansearle View Post
Thanks a lot, I cant wait to see how she feeds..Also this may seem like a silly question but what does CB12 mean, googled it and no luck getting a definition.
Jay
Captive Bred 2012, because with royals you get a lot of CF (captive farmed) baby royals over every year, these are bred in pits in africa, then shipped over, and you can still get wc, (Wild Caught), royals brought over, so the CB is to show it was bred in captivity over here, and the 12 is the year she was born.
Old 17-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Thanks a lot, I cant wait to see how she feeds..
Feeding them is the best part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Regular

Quote:
Captive Bred 2012, because with royals you get a lot of CF (captive farmed) baby royals over every year, these are bred in pits in africa, then shipped over, and you can still get wc, (Wild Caught), royals brought over, so the CB is to show it was bred in captivity over here, and the 12 is the year she was born.
I see thank you very much, CF sounds a bit brutal..just bred in pits :/ hmmmm.

Well glad shes not imported tbh, thanks for all your comments and advice guys, Will update you in a few months time with some pics and weight etc etc
Jay
Old 17-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
I see thank you very much, CF sounds a bit brutal..just bred in pits :/ hmmmm.

Well glad shes not imported tbh, thanks for all your comments and advice guys, Will update you in a few months time with some pics and weight etc etc
Jay
I was just shortening it, the wild females are collected, and kept hold off until they lay the eggs, then the eggs are put into large pits for incubation, then when they hatch they are removed and packed up and shipped to where they need to go. The adult females are released after laying so that they can go on to produce more eggs for the farmers next year.

It used to be quite bad on the farms, but now stricter regulation with shipping means they must be packaged correctly, and the older females used to be killed for the skin trade or meat trade once they laid the eggs, but now the farmers realise they get continuous money if they release them to breed again, rather than one pay off. So it isn't really a bad thing anymore.
Old 17-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Regular

Quote:
I was just shortening it, the wild females are collected, and kept hold off until they lay the eggs, then the eggs are put into large pits for incubation, then when they hatch they are removed and packed up and shipped to where they need to go. The adult females are released after laying so that they can go on to produce more eggs for the farmers next year.

It used to be quite bad on the farms, but now stricter regulation with shipping means they must be packaged correctly, and the older females used to be killed for the skin trade or meat trade once they laid the eggs, but now the farmers realise they get continuous money if they release them to breed again, rather than one pay off. So it isn't really a bad thing anymore.
oooo fair enough, yeah doesnt sound quite so brutal now

well at least the breeders have stopped killing the adults..
Old 17-12-2012, 04:55 PM
5 Star Member

My chap will not touch Rats. Some will some wont. He would rather starve than eat a rat......(don't blame him)

Seems to be a of experts on this thread, you wouldn't be able to tell from all there previoues posts

Just sayin
Take them home and keep them in a
secure box and hope they don't escape
Old 17-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcherry View Post
My chap will not touch Rats. Some will some wont. He would rather starve than eat a rat......(don't blame him)

Seems to be a of experts on this thread, you wouldn't be able to tell from all there previoues posts

Just sayin
Experts? I just see people giving advice.

And out of around 400 royals i've had over the years, i've got all onto rats, some have come to me as mouse only feeders, but they can all be converted, some just take a lot longer than others. That is why i find it best to feed a varied diet from the start to avoid them getting stuck on one food item.
**louise** likes this.
Old 18-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Regular

*******UPDATE*******

Photo by jordannsearle • Instagram

First feed for my royal, she grabbed the mouse within 30 seconds, was very fast and on point didnt seem to have any issues with feeding at all, so good news there.

And I have decided on a name - Pandora

Jay
**louise** likes this.
Old 18-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Forum Citizen

Love the name ( my favourite bracelet too! )
I would up the food size to maybe a rat fluff or even a small weiner. You'll be surprised what she can handle.
1 royal python raphaella

RIP Poppy.

Tags
royal python , snak