Snake in a Rental Apartment? - Page 11 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Gold Star Member

[QUOTE=damotmf;10842219]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB's View Post

No, Mr I've been to uni point not missed at all. I haven't said you are wrong, I also haven't said you are right regarding the land lord issue. The only thing I've said is that if was me and it was the only option to house myself and A snake then I would feel guilty and I still wouldn't class myself as lying scrum like your making people out to be. I haven't even said the op should lie.I disagree that you think it's ok to jump on you high horse and question some 1 honesty over something like not declaring a snake. Think your struggling to get to the water. Yes a lie is a like just like my comparison of the law is the law. Why is ok to judge 1 thing harsher than the other, I wouldn't judge the op if they never told the landlord as a dishonest lair any more than I would judge some1 who on occasion did 35 in a 30 as a as a criminal.

Thanks for the sarcastic accolade, I've never referred to anyone as being scum merely highlighted the virtues of honesty and integrity. Sorry if making something if myself elevates your own insecurities resulting in name calling.

I'm gonna bow out if this debate now as you still don't get the point the myself and others have been making from the start.

One last time... If you own it you decide on the rules if you don't then abide by the wishes of the person who does.

Good luck and I hope you achieve your goals and aspirations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB's View Post
It is easy when your 34 and was once a student who worked hard to be in a position now to own a property etc etc. just because someone wants something doesn't mean they should have it.
So easy for you then? Its not as if I'm not working hard but I can't earn the 20,000 for a deposit in a few months, it will take me years. I wasn't in a position where I was renting and wanted a snake I was in a position where I needed to rent and already had a snake. If I was in the former position i would have acted differently. To me it was a decision between getting rid of my snakes or maybe getting rid of them, which would you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah81 View Post
I am in that situation and always have been. I have never lied or found it difficult to find accommodation, you're clearly not looking hard enough.
I think you need to read up a bit more on tenant and landlord rights and laws.
Not having a go, but I spent 6 months looking, maybe 5% allowed pets and 100% of those were at least double my price range. It's only once I went to my current landlord and asked questions that I realised there could be wiggle room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah81 View Post
Actually renting is more expensive than a mortgage usually.
I've done both and am currently renting and looking to cut my outgoings by buying a house! Because the mortgage payments would be less than the average cost of renting here.

How much you earn doesn't come into it.
Yes owning is cheaper, once you have the deposit, which I don't and am working my ass off to save, I will buy asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpuffruth View Post
Lots of these replies are irrelevent. To the original poster ASK YOUR LANDLORD. Have some respect. If you don't want to have to ask buy your own place.
Yes ask, I'd say 90% chance it will be fine if you explain all the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMendy View Post
Unfortunately landlords don't always show the same courtesy.
So true, not part of the same debate, but my own landlord has broken at least 5 of its own rules within the agreement. Its not worth the hassle of moving right now otherwise I would but they're not so honest either.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Super Regular

Just because you hide a snake or two from the landlord doesn't mean that those who do are dishonest bad brought up people 'this is what's wrong with society' blah blah

The same way that breaking the speed limit by 5 or 10mph doesn't mean you are a criminal blah blah

It's wrong for some people on this thread to pass judgement and directly slate people's backgrounds and upbringing.

FGS we don't do everything by the book in life.
snakess likes this.

Panther Cham - Ambilobe
Panther female - Ambilobe
Lemon blast leopard pied female royal
Banana spider pied male royal
4x Red eye tree frogs het albino
Manokwari GTP female & Biak male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to merritt

I just moved into a new rental and when I told the landlord I had snakes all he said was "wow can I come seem them" most landlords don't mine snakes ans they don't make any real mess, best just be honest.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakess View Post
So easy for you then? Its not as if I'm not working hard but I can't earn the 20,000 for a deposit in a few months, it will take me years. I wasn't in a position where I was renting and wanted a snake I was in a position where I needed to rent and already had a snake. If I was in the former position i would have acted differently. To me it was a decision between getting rid of my snakes or maybe getting rid of them, which would you choose.

Not having a go, but I spent 6 months looking, maybe 5% allowed pets and 100% of those were at least double my price range. It's only once I went to my current landlord and asked questions that I realised there could be wiggle room.

Yes owning is cheaper, once you have the deposit, which I don't and am working my ass off to save, I will buy asap.

Yes ask, I'd say 90% chance it will be fine if you explain all the details.

So true, not part of the same debate, but my own landlord has broken at least 5 of its own rules within the agreement. Its not worth the hassle of moving right now otherwise I would but they're not so honest either.
Nope not easy, took me many many years to save up for the deposit but I'm proud to say I done it.
snakess and RoyalMendy like this.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Egg
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywaffle View Post
Okay so I want to get a small 5ft boa but my rental contract says "no pets", however I've been told that since snakes are "ornamental pets", in that they don't scratch up the furniture or make any noise, that they could be allowed.

Now I'm just wondering whether to ask my landlord if I'm allowed a snake in the apartment or whether I should just get one anyway and if I get caught I could just explain that I thought snakes were allowed and use the whole ornamental pet excuse? Because I'm guessing I'd be in more trouble if I asked and was told I wasn't allowed a snake but got one anyway, than if I got one and apologised if/when I get caught..

Hi there!
Well... I'm living in a rented property... got a python without even saying anything. Straight after that I'd some dump problems in the apartment... so i've informed my land lady ... she come over, saw the cage... did not even ask whats in there, i guess if i would ask her for permission on a first place she would say NO... just because snakes dont have a good opinion...
I'll say go for it... and if ur landlord is coming for a check up u can always cover the cage with a blanket to dont be seen... but i didnt even care to do that... For now the land lady is greatfull for informing her about the damp problem so i dont really think she would dare to say something about a snake :P

Tags
apartment , boa , flat , rental