Little bit worried.... - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 21-04-2013, 04:54 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcopops View Post
I've been looking for the thread everyone has linked to with search as i wanted to send the link to someone but it doesn't show up, only thread with the link.

anyone know what's happened to it ?
when you click the link it just says

It was a really useful thread.
If I remember rightly it was done by Wildlifewarrior who is banned. Shame that it had to be deleted just because of that (if that's the reason) I'd of thought the health of snakes would have been more important...
alcopops likes this.

DEED NOT BREED! SAY NO TO BSL!

The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for that one animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayvan View Post
If I remember rightly it was done by Wildlifewarrior who is banned. Shame that it had to be deleted just because of that (if that's the reason) I'd of thought the health of snakes would have been more important...

Cheers

It's a shame the thread would be removed like that.
Old 22-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to AraCyanea

My Royal had this once, I just sprayed him once a day to knock humidity up, few days later it'd gone. Result!

Currently owns:

1.0.0 - Hognose
1.0.0 - Albino Burmese
0.1.0 - Granite Burmese

Wishlist:

0.1.1 - Albino Reticulated Python
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-04-2013, 01:37 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
If that's the reason it's really petty!
I've used a couple of his methods (honey to treat burns, the vicks nebuliser and the eye cap) on snakes I've got in with problems. Work brilliant.

What a shame they are gone.

Reptile Awareness Group
-raising awareness and education about reptiles. Fancy joining us? Drop us a line!
Old 22-04-2013, 01:41 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi0sam View Post
viscotears is the safest way
Quote:
This people say to use it twice a day, but when my female had a retained eye cap by the time I came to put on the 2nd dose they'd already come off! Very good stuff, cheap and easy to get and saves all the faffing of baths etc
Thought I'd have to use this with my crawl cay when she had a bad shed back in November but I didn't have to as the got the stuck shed off on her own after twice in a warm damp pillowcase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan View Post
Viscotears is great and so is gel tears (identical in ingredients) and i have used this a few years ago with great success.....i never had any in this time which is why i reached for the vaseline instead - was pleased with the outcome
Will have to remember this too.
Old 22-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Forum Citizen

Will probably get burned here but just use a tiny piece of sticky tape,dab it against the eye gently and pull the tape away with the eyecap stuck to the tape.Its over in seconds,just make sure you restrain the snake properly and be certain there is an eyecap there to remove.Never understood all this faffing about with different eyedrops and such!
Just the way i do it,never had any problems.
Old 22-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrave27 View Post
Will probably get burned here but just use a tiny piece of sticky tape,dab it against the eye gently and pull the tape away with the eyecap stuck to the tape.Its over in seconds,just make sure you restrain the snake properly and be certain there is an eyecap there to remove.Never understood all this faffing about with different eyedrops and such!
Just the way i do it,never had any problems.
you are correct you will, this is a rediculous and outdated metod, its extremeley easy to damage the eye if the eye cap is well and truely stuck.

The FAFFING ABOUT is to make the proceedure as safe and as comfortable for the animal as possible, maybe if you go for an operation in hospital you could ask them not to faf around with aneasthetic?

OP TBH the pic you have posted doesn't even show clearly enough to say if its a retained eye cap or just a dehydrated new cap, can you get a better pic, or can you check the shed and see if the eye caps are present in the shed. If you try and remove the new eyecap you are going to do a lot of damage.
Drayvan, Artisan, AilsaM and 3 others like this.
Old 22-04-2013, 09:36 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

I keep a clean pillowcase handy just in case I get shed problems. I just wet it in clean warm water, wring it out, then pop the snake in, knot the top and leave in a rub somewhere safe and warm for a few hours. The snake moves around in the bag and usually rubs the shed off themselves.
Old 22-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeblaster View Post
you are correct you will, this is a rediculous and outdated metod, its extremeley easy to damage the eye if the eye cap is well and truely stuck.

The FAFFING ABOUT is to make the proceedure as safe and as comfortable for the animal as possible, maybe if you go for an operation in hospital you could ask them not to faf around with aneasthetic?

OP TBH the pic you have posted doesn't even show clearly enough to say if its a retained eye cap or just a dehydrated new cap, can you get a better pic, or can you check the shed and see if the eye caps are present in the shed. If you try and remove the new eyecap you are going to do a lot of damage.
Just saying it works for me.How do we know that different eye drops dont cause the snake any discomfort?
Not getting into an argument about it
Old 22-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Postaholic Member

I would never dream of using tape on the eye...as bladeblaster said - it could be a dehydrated new cap and tape could cause untold damage!

If you use viscotears/gel tears/ vaseline.....it can go either 2 ways.....the cap will fall off without discomfort....or if a dehydrated new cap....will rehydrate with these methods. Visco and gel tears is made for people for use on dry eyes and it doesn't cause discomfort (ive used it myself when I had sore dry eyes) and will keep the eye lubricated while vaseline is used to keep moisture locked in so its a win win situation for the snake.

Please dont use SELLOTAPE coz you dont know what the exact problem is
AilsaM likes this.

Artisan Reptiles - Facebook
-------------------------------------------
Lover & keeper of Boa Constrictor - Morphs/Commons/Dwarfs/BCI/BCC/BCA
plus
various Day, Satanic Leaftailed, Leachianus, other Gecko species
&
Western Hognose among other beautiful creatures!