When to seperate pair of young corn snakes to prevent breeding? - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6s0ud View Post
Cannibalism in corn snakes is more than you think. You can read this article :

Can I Keep Multiple Snakes in One Enclosure? | squamishserpents.ca

Beside this, consider that living with another snake would be stressful for any snake and they will not appreciate it !
Thanks fo the article. I'll read it right away, even though I've already decided to seperate them. My backup-tubs are too small for them to live in for more than a short while in case of emergency, so I'm going out to buy a new tub today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDay View Post
Thanks fo the article. I'll read it right away, even though I've already decided to seperate them. My backup-tubs are too small for them to live in for more than a short while in case of emergency, so I'm going out to buy a new tub today.
I'm very glad to hear it

Consider that corn snakes don't need much space and they can live in a relatively small tub so don't worry about it

Your first choice was a good one (corns are a great beginner choice)

Corn are awesome and I will be more glad if I can see more pics of your snakes
Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6s0ud View Post
I'm very glad to hear it

Consider that corn snakes don't need much space and they can live in a relatively small tub so don't worry about it

Your first choice was a good one (corns are a great beginner choice)

Corn are awesome and I will be more glad if I can see more pics of your snakes
I wouldn't call myself complete beginner. I've kept ball pythons for a good while. But there's always more to learn, and I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to corns.

I am considering buying two new tubs, since the one they are in now they will grow out of very soon (they turned out to be 50% longer than the breeder estimated them, so the tub I had bought in preparation doesn't really have much room for them to grow in).
I am considering buying them each a tub that's 38x50x26 cm (w x l x h). I think that should last them a while, without being too enourmously big, for them. They are 41.5 and 36.5 cm long. What do you guys think?

I'm so excited you guys want to see pictures. I can't help wanting to show off my pretty babies to everybody! I'll take some better pictures of them when they've had some time to settle in. I don't really want to mess too much with the critters at the moment. And then I'll use a proper camera instead of my phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Hi guys.

Yesterday I became the lucky owner of a pair of prettyful corn snakes. For now they are just babies (approximately 8 months old. Female is 17 gr and 41.5 cm, male is 12 gr and 36.5 cm) and housed together. However, I would like to know when I should seperate them to make sure they don't breed unexpectedly before the female is physically completely ready?
Hey..congrat on corns..
Just a quick one are you sure on age of snakes?? I only ask as mine are coming up 4 months and weight double yours??
Im sure its not a problem just curious
Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayward View Post
Hey..congrat on corns..
Just a quick one are you sure on age of snakes?? I only ask as mine are coming up 4 months and weight double yours??
Im sure its not a problem just curious
The breeder says they where hatched in mid june. So if that is right they should be eight months. I also intuitively thought that seemed like very little, so I did a bunch of googling, and as far as I could figure out, they are to the small side, but not very small. The breeder has been feeding them every 10-14 days and they where taking rat pinkies. I figure his feeding-schedule is why they are to the small side.
They don't look skinny and they are active, "curious" (tongue flicking, investigating everything new thoroughly) and squirmy and generally look healthy to me. So I'm not too worried. I plan on feeding them a bit more often though. I was thinking once a week for the time being.
Any opinions on that interval?
I have rat pinkies and mouse fuzzies for them, since I wanted to feed them on what they are used to first untill I know they're feeding well, but I would like to switch them over to mice as main food staple rather than rats. It seems the general agreement is that mouse are preferable over rats for the smaller species of snakes (less fatty).
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to NBLADE

the myth that a male will breed with a female and force her to lay eggs before she is ready is branded about so much on this forum. A female, CAN NOT, become gravid, and lay eggs until her body is mature enough to do so, there are no more risks from a young female laying eggs then there are from an older female in terms of egg binding, a younger female will just have smaller eggs that will grow to normal size over incubation, in most cases, or just produce slightly smaller babies in some cases.

Whilst it is true that males will mature before females normally, and will often try and mate with females, the only risk this causes when a female is not yet mature enough to have eggs, is stress on the female from constant harassment and pestering from the male, this can cause the female to stop feeding, and can also have damage to the vent area from the male trying to forcibly mate with her. A male can mate with an immature female a thousand times, it doesn't matter no matter how much he trys, she will not become pregnant, and her body will not develop eggs until she is old enough to do so.

The rule of 3 is an old guide line, it actually means nothing, it is more for beginners to ensure that females are definitely mature, and don't just get mated needlessly stressing them when they are not old enough to produce anything. I've had female corns lay slugs at 18 months old, without ever seeing a male, by the rule i should never introduce a male til she was 3, but if her body was saying she was ready, then she was ready, waiting wasn't going to change anything.

Personally i cohabit corns, i've seen cannabalism twice from people who kept a load of hatclings together and just threw in pinkies, so was bound to happen, i've never had it with corn snakes in my own collection over the years, but it is something to be aware that can happen.

At 8 months the male is likely to be nearing maturity, so will want to mate soon, i've had males go at a year, so separating them now will be a good thing to do, just to save the stress on the female. I just thought i'd put some factual stuff up about breeding as too many people believe a male mating with a young female can somehow get her body to produce eggs even if she is not mature enough to do so.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
The breeder says they where hatched in mid june. So if that is right they should be eight months. I also intuitively thought that seemed like very little, so I did a bunch of googling, and as far as I could figure out, they are to the small side, but not very small. The breeder has been feeding them every 10-14 days and they where taking rat pinkies. I figure his feeding-schedule is why they are to the small side.
They don't look skinny and they are active, "curious" (tongue flicking, investigating everything new thoroughly) and squirmy and generally look healthy to me. So I'm not too worried. I plan on feeding them a bit more often though. I was thinking once a week for the time being.
Any opinions on that interval?
I have rat pinkies and mouse fuzzies for them, since I wanted to feed them on what they are used to first untill I know they're feeding well, but I would like to switch them over to mice as main food staple rather than rats. It seems the general agreement is that mouse are preferable over rats for the smaller species of snakes (less fatty).
I personally feed mine every 5days and are currently on what the german shops call small mice..but they take them no fuss every 5 days..I up-ed size when I was feeding fuzzies and the were still hunting..food I feed is about 11grams each

I feed right hand mice..
Attached Thumbnails
When to seperate pair of young corn snakes to prevent breeding?-uploadfromtaptalk1360154596144.jpg  

Old 06-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Super Citizen

Drayvan and Nikkifer like this.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBLADE View Post
the myth that a male will breed with a female and force her to lay eggs before she is ready is branded about so much on this forum. A female, CAN NOT, become gravid, and lay eggs until her body is mature enough to do so, there are no more risks from a young female laying eggs then there are from an older female in terms of egg binding, a younger female will just have smaller eggs that will grow to normal size over incubation, in most cases, or just produce slightly smaller babies in some cases.

Whilst it is true that males will mature before females normally, and will often try and mate with females, the only risk this causes when a female is not yet mature enough to have eggs, is stress on the female from constant harassment and pestering from the male, this can cause the female to stop feeding, and can also have damage to the vent area from the male trying to forcibly mate with her. A male can mate with an immature female a thousand times, it doesn't matter no matter how much he trys, she will not become pregnant, and her body will not develop eggs until she is old enough to do so.

The rule of 3 is an old guide line, it actually means nothing, it is more for beginners to ensure that females are definitely mature, and don't just get mated needlessly stressing them when they are not old enough to produce anything. I've had female corns lay slugs at 18 months old, without ever seeing a male, by the rule i should never introduce a male til she was 3, but if her body was saying she was ready, then she was ready, waiting wasn't going to change anything.

Personally i cohabit corns, i've seen cannabalism twice from people who kept a load of hatclings together and just threw in pinkies, so was bound to happen, i've never had it with corn snakes in my own collection over the years, but it is something to be aware that can happen.

At 8 months the male is likely to be nearing maturity, so will want to mate soon, i've had males go at a year, so separating them now will be a good thing to do, just to save the stress on the female. I just thought i'd put some factual stuff up about breeding as too many people believe a male mating with a young female can somehow get her body to produce eggs even if she is not mature enough to do so.
I tend to think along the same lines as you. That snake cannibalism must be caused, generally at least, by people feeding by dropping prey into rubs with multiple snakes in them and not even keeping an eye on them. I would of course never feed two snakes together!

However that the snakes stress each other is a great argument for seperating them, along with being better able to know who left what poop/regurge/blood etc. Hence the newly bought rubs I just got back home with
Old 06-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Well, I'm too much of a softie emotional woman for that. But at least my fish don't have names.
hey what's wrong with naming fish????my fish are named after singers!! Congratulations on your corns