When to seperate pair of young corn snakes to prevent breeding? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Super Citizen
Default When to seperate pair of young corn snakes to prevent breeding?

Hi guys.

Yesterday I became the lucky owner of a pair of prettyful corn snakes. For now they are just babies (approximately 8 months old. Female is 17 gr and 41.5 cm, male is 12 gr and 36.5 cm) and housed together. However, I would like to know when I should seperate them to make sure they don't breed unexpectedly before the female is physically completely ready?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

Now
Lee W likes this.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Super Citizen

I assume you're joking?! They're about the thickness of a biro! They are teeny tiny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 09:43 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDay View Post
I assume you're joking?! They're about the thickness of a biro! They are teeny tiny!

there are more reasons to separate than just breeding - so imo the best time to seperate them is now
Old 06-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Regular

It's not a good idea to keep more than one snake in a single vivarium

There are dangerous possibilities including cannibalism, disease spread, etc

If you want to keep 2 snakes, you should purchase 2 cages (at least)

Even if you've decided to breed them, you should separate them till mating time

It seems you need read some books and articles about corns. They are awesome but need proper care

I wish it help
Roseanna likes this.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

April Taylor and kitschyduck like this.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Super Citizen

Please don't make assumptions concerning my knowledge on snake husbandry.

Now to the topic. I know that there are discussions about keeping snakes together, especially based on the rare occurence of cannibalism. Now I also know it is common to house more than one snake together and that problems like canibalism are very rare (thanks for the dramatic see-your-snakes-will-probably-eat-each-other-since-it's-happened-at-least-once-before-in-the-world-photo ).
Now I have no problem seperating them. Not even seperating them now. However, I don not appreciate overly dramatic and controversial statements being made as "facts" without proper documentation.

When it comes to disease, I am a very big advocate of quarantines. However, these two snakes come from the same breeder. They are from clutches hatched very close together and their well vented baby-tubs where kept together in a big vivarium for the first 8 months of their lives. In other words, if one of them was sick, the other one contracted it already a long time ago!

Now guys, I'll be more than happy to have a discussion on housing snakes together. But more importantly, I would appreciate someone actually answering my question concerning when snakes reach sexual maturity. Everybody seem to have missed the actual question.

I appreciate the concern for the well-being of my animals. Trust me, nobody is more concerned for their well-being than me.
snakess likes this.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Premier Citizen

3 is the magic number with corns as far as im aware, isnt it 300g 3 years old 3ft long for breeding? I seem to remember that but I wouldnt know ive not bred them, so that would be the time to seperate them.

On a personal level I wouldnt house them together for the reasons already listed. Cannibalism may be rare but its not impossible and id rather not have any risk of complications for the sake of another vivarium.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDay View Post
Hi guys.

Yesterday I became the lucky owner of a pair of prettyful corn snakes. For now they are just babies (approximately 8 months old. Female is 17 gr and 41.5 cm, male is 12 gr and 36.5 cm) and housed together. However, I would like to know when I should seperate them to make sure they don't breed unexpectedly before the female is physically completely ready?

I believe this ^^^^^ was your actual question ?

and you got an answer, NOW would be a good time to seperate, if you have no issues with seperating then i dont see why you would wait. Ive known female corns to get caught at 18 months old. some younger.
And canibalism is alot more common then you think, especially at feeding time.
April Taylor and m6s0ud like this.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Super Citizen

well, this is about the right time of year for breeding so I'd keep an eye on them.They're probably too young yet but you never know. I have a young pair together at the minute (around 6months old). I'm planning to separate them before nxt spring as the male if not the female will most likely be looking to mate then.
Obviously the only sure way to avoid unwanted breeding is to keep them apart permanently, but this is my suggestion.